August 19, 1943

August 19, 1943

Dearest Bumblebee,

No matter you say, you know you will always be Bumblebee to me, Bea. You have been since you were tiny and buzzing around me and Steve when you were barely able to walk and you always will be. You also took the words right out of my mouth! I say it all the time because it's true. Every word. You are cute and you are sweet and, whether you like it or not, you will always be my baby sister.

You also have to know I will never let you forget that you said that!

And I will welcome your attempts to torment me. I have survived Danny's torments and Jack's. They have made me all but immune to the torments of younger siblings. And I have gotten pretty good at tormenting in return thanks to those two knucklehead brothers of ours.

But it is an insult to my honor to be called a liar, Bea! I think I might have to be wounded by your accusations. You know, I think I am wounded. So perhaps we should call it even.

But very well, I won't make a point of keeping what it's like over here from you. But don't expect me to be telling you every little detail either. As your big brother, I do still intend to protect you where I can. And while I won't lie and insist it's all a lark here on the Front, I'm not about to tell you all the awful things that happen, either. And you have to swear not to tell Mom. Not only do I know she won't like knowing for sure that I'm keeping how things really are here from her, but she really won't like that I'm not keeping it from you. You are still her baby, after all, being the youngest.

And it is bad. I will admit to that. I barely have the words, Bea. It doesn't surprise me at all that they're eager to ship out Danny and the other new recruits as quickly as possible. So many men are dying, and all we can do is keep fighting. Your letter definitely brought a bit of brightness through it all.

As much as I hate to say it, I think you may be right about Steve. That doesn't sound like him at all, especially given how down he was when I last saw him. That he was being as secretive as you say? I can't blame you for being worried. He's usually so open. The kid can barely keep a secret from anyone. I have a few ideas about what he might be up to, but I hope I'm wrong. He is so set on enlisting. But since he hasn't written to me yet, I'm even more in the dark than you.

I just hope he hasn't done anything stupid.

I really do miss him, Bea. It is strange not having him here. The other men in my unit are great, even if some of them are a little rough around the edges, but none of them are Steve. They are friends, though. And friends in this place are good to have. But you're not meeting them. There is no way I'm letting any of them near my baby sister! I may like them, but there's no way I'd approve of letting them anywhere near you, not with the way they carry on, sometimes. I'm sure they'd be on their best behavior back in civilization, but one can never be sure with them. They're all idiots.

I know I'm charming, but that does seem a little excessive. You're sure they were after me? I remember Connie, though, and I do remember going out dancing with her once or twice. But I don't remember saying I'd write.

And don't you worry about becoming an aunt just yet. There really shouldn't be, but if there are any little nieces or nephews out there for you, I certainly don't know about them. I hope not...not yet, anyway. And not here. Some of the nurses are easy on the eyes, but there really isn't much time for pretty dames, right now. There's certainly nowhere nice to take them dancing or anything. I miss that too, now that I'm thinking of it. You'll have to go out dancing sometime, and have a dance for me.

Now I've gone and spoiled you. Now you're going to be expecting long letters in reply whenever you write me. I wish I could say that would be true, but paper is getting pretty scarce around here. It took a bit of work, some good luck and a great deal of that charm you are intent on teasing me about to scrounge up enough to write you and Mom both. So this might be it for a bit, Bea. I'll do my best, but letters are probably (and I mean it this time) going to be short and scarce. I'll try to answer all of them, but on top of the paper shortage, I might not be able to manage time. They've got us pretty busy. It's like they're trying to work us off our feet. The good news is that this work is making it real easy to sleep no matter where we end up at the end of the day, even if it's the ground.

I keep dreaming of home, Bea, and you and Mom, Steve, all of you. All the places we used to go, even, like the park or to Randall's Shop to get some penny candy. Get some and enjoy it for me, alright? Cherry! I miss you all and I can't wait to come home when this is all over.

I hope it's soon, Bumblebee. I really do. But I'm not sure anymore that it will be. At least not for a little while, yet. There's still a great deal to do.

But I will be careful. You have my word on that. And you tell Danny to be careful from me too, okay? I'd hate to have to track him down to give him a good box about the ears if he does anything stupid once he's shipped out.

I love you, Bea. Remember to have a dance for your big brother. Just, don't dance too close. After all, I'm not there to beat up any boys that get too friendly with my baby sister.

Be sure to give Mom, Jack and Danny my love.

Bucky

A/N : Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to Vote and Comment!