June 13, 1944

June 13th, 1944

Dear Bucky,

You knew, didn't you! It's been over a week and the papers are still talking about it. You weren't there, were you? On Juno Beach? When I saw the headlines, I just couldn't believe it. That's what you meant in your letter, wasn't it! About the next few months telling? You were thinking about this, weren't you! Is it bad that I'm hoping you weren't there? I know Steve was. Captain America on Juno Beach fighting with our boys was front page, after all. But we didn't see you. And as important a victory as they're saying it is, it sounds like it was absolutely awful. The papers are making it sound glorious and all that, but the casualty lists, Bucky! They go on forever. And the photographs! You have no idea how relieved we were to see that your name wasn't anywhere to be found. Or Steve's. Jack and I scoured the lists to be absolutely sure.

And Jack is still convinced he needs to join up.

It's okay, Bucky, that you couldn't talk him out of it. Well, it's not, but not because of you. I hope you know what I mean. And you're right. He did do it before your letter even came. He went to the Registration Office on the 18th of May, a week after I wrote you. Then we went out to 'celebrate,' the whole group of us again. I didn't feel much like celebrating but I managed to put on a good show anyway. I even let Jack lecture me on making sure I wasn't letting any boys hold me too close.

But I drew the line at him telling me off about kissing. I'm not kissing anyone anyway! He's even worse about it than you! Besides, I'm 18, for heaven's sake. I know three girls in my class who are getting married, even. Two more who already are! So you should all be thankful you don't have to worry about that! Jacqueline Murray married Ralph Thompson in May just before he shipped out and Rosie Findley and Roger Wilson got married just last week. You didn't hear it from me, but rumor has it that it didn't happen so fast because of him shipping out soon, if you know what I mean. Betty's positive there's going to be a little Wilson before the end of the year. She heard it from her sister, who is friends with Rosie's cousin.

You know, I think that's the first time you've called him Gordon and not Gordy. I'm so proud of you!

As strange as it was, going to Coney Island was fun, even if you and Steve weren't there. Gordon won me the most adorable stuffed bear and we ate popcorn and hot dogs and cotton candy. The Ferris Wheel was wonderful and Jack and I even managed to convince Agnes to go on the Cyclone with us. I still don't think she's forgiven me. We'll definitely have to ride it again when you get back.

I hope you're right, and the War's going to be over soon. You've already been gone a year. I just realized that yesterday. One year this Thursday you left. The papers say that, with the victory at Juno Beach that it's only a matter of time. That the Nazis will be surrendering any day, now. Are they right? I want to believe it, but after the number of times they've said it? Will you still be home by Christmas?

I hope so.

Mom sends her love. And so does Jack. And so do I.

And just in case my letter and his gift don't arrive in time, tell Steve Happy Birthday!

Love,

Beatrice

A/N: Thanks for Reading!

Don't forget to vote and comment! I'd love to hear if you enjoyed!