July 21, 1943

July 21, 1943

Dearest Bea,

Your letter did get here before I did. Or rather, it missed me in England, but got to where my unit's posted before I did. Apparently the mail is far more efficient than troop transport.

You have no idea how great it was to have this little piece of home waiting for me. I'm not homesick at all, but I imagine if I was, it would definitely have helped. It really brought a smile to my face. Getting settled in here after arriving was nearly an adventure in and of itself. I know they're likely going to censor where I am if I tell you, so I won't even bother. But I made it safe and sound and I am quite ready to not be on a ship again for a little while, at least. I didn't get seasick or anything, but being on a boat with a few hundred other men who are all getting seasick? It was not pleasant.

But I won't bore you with that. I have a reputation as the interesting brother to uphold, after all. I put it all in the letter to Mom I sent before we shipped out from England, so all of you could hear about the boring and the fun stuff of the trip over. So if you want to know all about the trip to England, the camp, even the guys in my unit, it's all going to be there. I'll be writing another letter to Mom soon with everything that's happened since leaving England. But I wanted to write you back first.

Time is a bit short at the moment, though, so I won't be able to write long letters often, if I manage them at all. You know I'm terrible at letter writing anyway, right? I'll do my best, but answers back from me are probably going to be few and far between. But I'm expecting lots of letters from you and Mom. I'm even expecting a couple from Danny and Jack. Make sure they know that.

Give Mom my love and a kiss from me. I miss all of you, even Danny's brooding. But don't tell him I said that. Hopefully he's not off to basic just yet by the time you get this, but give Danny a smack upside the head and tell him its from me for being an idiot about the pictures. If he's already gone, just wait until you see him next.

And tell him to be careful.

And I know I asked before I left, but could you make sure you check in on Steve for me? He took being denied enlistment pretty hard. Not that I can quite understand why now that I'm here. The food's terrible, it feels like it's always raining and nothing interesting is happening. He's not missing much, really.

I really don't trust Jack or Danny not to make a mess of it if I were to ask one of them. But you and Steve have always gotten on alright. Sometimes I think he sees you as his baby sister too...even if you are taller than he is.

I'm sure the War will be over in no time, and I'll be back before you know it.

I miss you, Bumblebee.

Love from your favorite big brother,

Bucky

A/N: Thanks for reading!

If you enjoyed, I'd love to hear about it! And the best ways to do that are to vote and comment!! 

Happy Reading!