Chapter 1

Ethan Brodi watched the mist swirl on the road before him, his mount was willing to release some of its energy in a quick run, but it wouldn't be safe with the world under this thick, white blanket. They must both be contented with a slow canter that would take them slowly but steadily to their destination. To Lady Cassandra Antrucha, his future bride.

Despite his best efforts, a foul mood bore down on him, seemingly crushing him beneath its weight. His father had no right to command him in such matters, it was his life, for heaven's sake! He had been able to bear the decisions of his grizzled parent for years, but this, this order would change the course of his life for the rest of his life, and there would be no turning back once it was done. Marriage was a sacred thing, not a means to gain more wealth, it was supposed to have a foundation of love, not greed!

Heaven only knew Ethan had no use for the fancy, snobbish Lady Cassandra! Surely, she would be no different from high born ladies he had previously known, and there was no love in his heart for such women. Why couldn't his father understand? Why could he not see that this was non of his affair? Ethan would have figured out his own love life in time, and it would have had love.

None of his anger or resentment would do anything, he tried to tell himself, he could not disobey his father no matter what his opinions on this forced matrimony. His father's words had been the first law he had learned as a child, and there was no possibility for repeal, ever. As he had grown, he had further experienced the overbearing nature to command and be obeyed in his paternal figure, and he had discovered from those unpleasantries to comply.

As he rode, his mind elsewhere, he loosed his grip on the reigns, and his horse quickened its pace until they were fairly flying through the mist, the wind sweeping over him and further rumpling his attire. He knew he would look like a wind-blown vagabond when he arrived at his father's London country house, but he didn't care, there would be no one to see him but Mrs. Thorn, the sturdy, little housekeeper, and a few other members of trusted staff. They would undoubtedly be surprised to see him as he had sent no message detailing his arrival ahead of him, but they were well used to his sudden appearances by now and would hardly bat an eye.

Speeding through the mist, he caught sight of a figure, a young woman, sitting on the side of the road. He had only a moment's glance at her before she faded into the arms of the fog, but there was something about that pair of large, wondering eyes that wouldn't let him forget her. He tried to tell himself that it was none of his business, that she was most likely waiting for someone and wouldn't need any help from him, but even as his mind sent him thousands of reasons for leaving her there, he found himself slowing and turning back in the direction from which he'd just come.

Those large, unforgettably beautiful eyes looked up at him as he pulled his mount to a stop before her. He looked down at her, taking in the sight before him with curiosity. What woman would lurk beside the road on a mist-ridden day? She was certainly not a lowly peasant, but she couldn't be any titled lady for none of them would be caught dead outside their pretty, little houses without the accompaniment of a servant.

"Are you all right, miss?" The horse pranced nervously, protesting the halt to its exercise. Ethan patted its shoulder, trying to calm the beast so as not to frighten the poor girl. Girl? No, no one could call this creature a girl. She was a woman through and through.

"I fell from my horse," She smiled up at him, her eyes narrowing slightly with the effect of her smile, and a bright sparkle settled in their depths. "You need not trouble yourself over me, I am sure I can get home just fine." He dismounted.

"Where is the animal?" He queried, stifling a curse as his horse began to dance in circles so he was forced to look over his shoulder to keep his gaze on her.