Chapter 12 *edited* :D

Warning: This chapter will likely be edited as it is only a quickly written bit to give you guys something to read. My family and I are incredibly busy at the moment which is why I take so long to get another chapter up—building one's house while trying to write a book is not recommended, just sayin'. Anyhoo. Things will probably change. I'll make sure to change the title to 'Chapter 12 *edited*' if/when I have the time to go through and edit it.

Celeste wore an expression of ecstasy when Lavinia opened the back door and hurried the seamstress up to her room. The outside world was dusted with fog, and dusk had fallen, giving the world a magical sort of glow. Lavinia had been a pile of nerves all day. Tonight. Kitty's party was tonight. All Lavinia's guilt and fretting would be done and out of the way.

"Ah, mademoiselle," Celeste laughed, her bright, black eyes shining. "It took me until late into the night to finish this masterpiece, but it was well worth it." The girl carefully removed the reddest dress Lavinia had ever clapped eyes on onto the bed. Lavinia felt her heart stop for a moment. That was her dress. She almost laughed aloud. The gown was a fulfillment of so many dreams. "I hope you do not mind," Celeste was saying. "I made a few changes."

Lavinia looked at the gown. It was certainly different than her drawing. The long sleeves had been removed, and it would now encompass her shoulders, leaving them bare. The bodice was criss-crossed corset style in the back, and the skirt. . .heavens. . .the skirt. Her mouth went dry as she stared at it. It must have taken so many yards of fabric. A layer of chiffon covered the rich satin. It was. . .everything she had ever dreamed it would be.

"I also brought a jupon, petticoat as you English say." Celeste pulled a multitude of full, white petticoats from the stash of things she'd brought.

"I can't wear that dress," Lavinia swallowed. "It's far too beautiful, I would—I'm not meant for such a gown. Something like that should be worn by Cassandra, she has the look for such finery."

"Absurdité," Celeste shook her head. "Don't be ridiculous. It is made for you. It would fit no other."

"Perhaps I should wear the gown my mother intended for me." Lavinia fingered the material of the usual drab, gray-blue gown, trying in vain to tear her gaze off the gown that had been laid before her in such a tempting way. The dress her mother had planned was a little fancier than her everyday attire but not by much, it would have to do.

"Non! I will not allow such ridiculousness!" Before Lavinia could move, Celeste had snatched the drab gown off the bed. "Now, we must hurry, or you shall be late." Celeste savagely stuffed the dress into her bag, and tossing it to the floor, stood in front of it, folding her arms defiantly across her chest and frowning as though she were daring Lavinia to try anything.

Lavinia stared at the stubborn girl for several moments before realizing there would be no give in this Frenchwoman. She released a heavy sigh of resignation.

"You are doing yourself no favor, Celeste."

"Ainsi soit-il, I do not care, I am doing you a favor." The glare disappeared, and Celeste returned to her preparations.

Lavinia had never required the help of a maid when dressing. She had always been willing to do as much for herself as her mother thought appropriate, but Celeste would hear no protesting. She helped Lavinia into the dress and the other fineries with a deaf ear to any pleas. When the gown was finally to her satisfaction, she began on the long, nearly black hair that adorned the head of her self-assumed charge. She curled and pulled and twisted and braided and brushed until Lavinia was sure she would be bald by the time she was allowed to leave the room.