Chapter 28 *edited* ;)

Hey, you lovely people! Here's the chapter. I'm sorry about the whole take-down-put-back-up thing, but I realized I could do quite a bit more with it than I had done, and why waste an opportunity to make it better? I hope you enjoy!!

    The single lamp on the table and the flickering flames in the fireplace cast odd shadows on the walls, but Lavinia hardly noticed. Pacing back and forth across the floor, she bit down on her lip until she tasted blood, and she prayed. The sun had long since set, but there was no sign of Ethan, and her imaginative mind was doing her no service now.
    With a tremulous sigh, she sank into a chair, covering her face with her hands. Where could he have gone? She tried to keep her tears down. She couldn't jump to any conclusions, not yet anyway, and why was she crying? Nothing had happened. . .yet. She berated herself for her foolishness.
    A bolt of lightning streaked across the sky, filling the bedroom with light, and the answering thunder was so loud, Lavinia jumped. Rising slowly, mindful of her still painful side, she moved restlessly to the window, looking out at the darkness as though she could somehow see through it and find her husband. She gripped the windowsill until her hands hurt and tried to think about something else, but what else could occupy her thoughts at a time like this? Other than the beat of the rain and the constant ticking of the mantle clock, she was oblivious to her surroundings.
    She thought she heard someone knock, but another roll of thunder drowned out the sound, and she was too absorbed in her own worries to look into it. The rain slackened a bit, but the darkness outside was no less intense for it, and she almost fell into despair. Who could see to ride home on a night like this?
    A quiet tapping on her door finally arrested her attention, and she reluctantly turned from the rain-streaked window. A robed Cassandra slipped into the room, closing the door securely behind her. Lavinia sighed and tried to smile as her sister scrutinized her.
    "Still no sign of him?" It was less of a question than a statement, but Lavinia shook her head all the same. "What was he thinking?" Cassandra seethed, throwing up her hands and scoffing. "Who goes riding off at a time like this?"
    "He needs time to think and to get over his anger before he talks to me, Cassy. Papa said he'd never seen him so upset." Lavinia fingered the trim on her robe absently, her eyes glazing over as her thoughts returned to her husband.
    "You should go to bed and get some sleep." Cassandra gentled slightly. "There isn't much use in waiting for him any longer. It's dark; you won't be able to see him if he does come."
    "I know, but I can't. I can't sleep knowing he's out there." Tears flooded Lavinia's vision.
    "Of his own accord." Cassandra's voice was slightly bitter. "You needn't suffer for him." The perfectly shaped lips turned down in a frown.
    "Oh, Cassy, I know you don't understand. You've never felt things the way I have, and besides, but I'm his wife, and what he feels, I feel. I suppose 'suffering' for him, as you put it, is a part of. . .well, everything. I didn't marry him to let him suffer alone. I love him, and love does insane things to you sometimes." Lavinia turned back to the window. "And we've had so little time together." She choked to herself, pressing her fingers against her forehead and rubbing gently, trying her best not to waste time on useless wishes or 'what ifs' about the past.
    She had to keep telling herself that what was done, was done for good, and no matter how she would have liked things to go, there was nothing she could do to change it. She had to look to the future now. Her future with Ethan. Wrapping her arms about herself, she swallowed back a surge of emotions. She yearned to be folded in Ethan's warm arms instead of standing here with fear and concern as her constant companions.
    "What did you say?" Cassandra asked.
    "Nothing." Lavinia heaved a sigh.
    "Livy, do you want me to stay up with you?" Cassandra moved to stand beside her sister, her vibrant eyes straining to see something in the darkness for the sake of her sister, not for the lousy man who hadn't thought to get back here before the rain came. Lavinia had already suffered enough, couldn't Ethan see that? Didn't he know what this would do to the woman he had so lately married? Cassandra wished he were present at the moment. She would have a few choice words to express her opinion of him.
    "No. You should get some sleep." Lavinia managed a smile.
    "Really, I don't mind. It's not that late." Cassandra tried to sound lighthearted. "I rarely get to bed by eight, and besides, I would sacrifice my sleep to make sure you weren't alone with your worry."
    "No, I'm fine." Lavinia feigned a yawn. "I think I'll lay down for a while anyway."
    "Only if you're sure." Cassandra said, biting her lip uncertainly.
    "I am." Lavinia said reassuringly.
    "Well, I'll have one of the maids bring up some Chamomile tea; it'll soothe your nerves." Knowing her sister, Cassandra decided it would be better to leave her on her own. Her presence was providing no comfort; it was Ethan Lavinia wanted.
    "Thank you, Cassy, and good night." Lavinia sat on the edge of her bed, smiling at her sister.
    "Good night." Cassandra moved to the door, turning to face her sister with an unsure expression. Was it wise to leave her alone, though? Lavinia climbed beneath the covers and curled up snuggly, managing to smile a wan smile.
    "Sleep well." She said softly.
    "You, too."
    When Cassandra had gone, Lavinia turned onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. Every bolt of lightning reminded her of Manuel and his death, and frightened her a little more. What if no one found Ethan until tomorrow morning when it was too late? When a shock of lightning had ended a life so promising? That was the real reason she couldn't sleep, but how could she explain that she was scared to death her husband wasn't going to come home to Cassandra? Her sister wasn't the type to understand. For one thing, Cassandra had never been in love, and her understanding of men was skewed by her singular perspective; for another, Lavinia had never known Cassandra to be the type to get nervous about something that wasn't clearly going to happen.
    Lying there, Lavinia failed to stop herself from thinking about how lovely her wedding might have been. She would have been Ethan's wife in every sense of the word now had Manuel's bullet not thrown them into this mess. The thought brought a warm blush to her cheeks. She and Ethan had never had the chance to share their marriage bed, and suddenly, she regretted the fact immensely.
    She was glad that Cassandra had left her, because she was sure her face was a deeper red than the sun on a morning that would put the fear of God into any sailor. Was it wrong for her to want to become one with her husband? Tonight had proved to be an unwelcome reminder that neither of them were going to live forever, and their day could come without warning. She wanted to give the last piece of herself into her husband's hands, to trust him with something she had never thought to give to anyone.
    She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she hardly comprehended the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs and her door creaking open until she was looking at her drenched husband. It was all so sudden that she couldn't help thinking it was a dream. Apparently thinking she was asleep, Ethan moved over to the fire and began untying his cravat, a sigh escaping his lips as the warmth seeped into his bones.
    Could it be dream? Pushing back the covers, Lavinia fairly flung herself across the floor and wrapped her arms around him, leaning her head against his wet back, her hands pressed into his chest. The chill that touched her skin sent relief flooding throughout her body, and for some reason she couldn't explain, tears welled in her eyes. Ethan leaned back against her, and his cold hands on hers were confirmed her suspicions: the desperately alluring Scotsman in her bedroom was no dream.
    "I thought you were asleep." He whispered.
    "I couldn't. Not while you were out there. Not without you here." She hugged him tighter, and oddly enough, her entire body tingled nervously.
    He turned to face her, his hands cupping her face. In his eyes, she could read his torment, and her heart ached for him. Standing on tiptoe, she brushed her lips against his, feeling the cold rainwater ooze through the fabric of her robe and nightgown.
    "Oh, Livy," Ethan groaned, wrapping her fiercely in his arms. "I don't know what to do."
    "Tell me." She whispered.
    "I'm sure your father already relayed to you what happened at the station. I just feel. . .If I pursue this and try to find out what's going on, I run the risk of endangering you, and that very thought torments me to my core. You are all that matters in my life; I have nothing else besides you, and if I lost you. . ." His voice cracked hoarsely. "Oh, Livy." He clutched her tightly against him.
    "But if you don't prove your innocence to them, this will haunt you for the rest of your life. It will hang over us forever, and Manuel will never die." Lavinia brushed her fingers through his hair with a tremor of satisfaction. She had wanted to do that so many times, and now that she had the perfect right to, she had never enjoyed anything more—even though his locks were dripping wet.
    "I know. That's the problem. Manuel will ruin our lives from beyond the grave if I don't, but I can't bring injury to you. I should never have married you. None of this would have happened if it hadn't been for me." His voice was threaded with misery.
    Lavinia looked straight into his eyes gently caressed his face. "Listen here, Ethan Brodi, it wasn't all your choice. I chose to marry you, and if I hadn't already, I would do it again. You say you have to know what's going on behind all this, then find out. I will stand beside you 'til death do us part. I am your wife."
    He pulled her close again, suddenly, and pressed his lips to hers. She returned his kiss, her heart thudding within her chest. Gooseflesh ran wild over her skin, and she thrilled at the effect he had on her.
    A light tap on the door interrupted them, and with a sigh, she slipped out of his arms and opened the door.
    "Lady Cassandra said I should bring up some tea." Eliza said hesitantly.
    "Of course, thank you, Eliza. I can take the tray." Lavinia held out her hands, but Eliza was still hesitant.
    "But I couldn't think of doing that, not when you're so recently recovering from your injuries." The maid protested.
    "I can manage." Lavinia smiled kindly, but the woman still refused.
    "I'll take the tray. Thank you, Eliza." Ethan was suddenly at her side, lifting the tray out of the maid's hands. "Good night." He nodded at the woman, closing the door with his foot and carrying the tray to the table. "Just look at that, a maid caring more for you than I am, and me, your husband. You're soaked." He said softly, sinking into the chair beside the fire.
    "I don't care." Lavinia closed the distance between them, crouching in front of him and resting her hands on his thighs. "It doesn't matter." Ethan's hands tangled in her hair, and he kissed her with gentle passion that ignited a fire in her stomach. He pulled her up onto his lap, and his lips spread a trail of warmth down her neck.
    Suddenly, he pulled back. "We should stop." His voice was thick with passion.
    Lavinia looked down, toying with the buttons of his shirt. "Why?" Her eyes darted up to meet his before dropping to his lips as she attempted to catch her breath.
    "Because," the word cost Ethan considerable effort and came out as a sort of growl. "I don't want to force you to do anything, and you're hurt."
    "Ethan," She trailed a finger up his neck and along his jaw, narrowing her eyes slightly as she looked at him, absorbing every single tiny feature. Like the scar just above his cheekbone, the steely look of passion in his green eyes, and the gentle curve of his lips. "I love you." She whispered softly. He grasped her hand in his to stop its torturous route and pressed it to his lips. "And I'm not hurt, not when I'm in your arms."
    He lifted her easily, and she was vaguely aware that they were moving in the general direction of the bed. He set her down gently, and his lips brushed across her cheek, sending sparks through her body.
    "Are you sure?" Ethan pulled back, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. "I can wait as long as you want."
    "I'm sure." She replied softly, her hands sliding gently around his neck.
    Ethan kissed her again, gently this time, and began to unbutton her nightgown.
    "You're trembling." His whispered against her. "Are you frightened?"
    "Yes." She breathed. "I—I don't know what to do." She wetted her lips, focusing her gaze on the dark stubble on his chin.
    "I'll show you." His voice was soft, and she looked up, her eyes locking gazes with his as he lifted her nightgown over her head.

Note: this story is coming to an end. I have one or two more chapter, and that's it! I'm really pleased with how well this first attempt at historical fiction of mine has turned out, and even though I know it needs LOADS of edits, I'm just happy I made it to the end, but I just wanted to say that I couldn't have done this without you guys. Yes, you. All of you who voted and commented with such enthusiasm, you kept me trying when I was about to give up, and that means so much to me. I haven't been able to stay on top of thanking each of you personally, but I hope this half makes up for that grievous crime: THANK YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK AND TO THE END OF THE SHIRE! ;) Y'all are seriously the best, and jut for that, I'm hoping to post the next chapter this afternoon!

Anyway, please vote and comment with your thoughts! If love to hear them! Even you readers who are seeing this months after it was posted!