Chapter 11

The weather, it would seem, had a mind of its own. The sun spread bright, warm rays of light on the world. Ethan drew a deep breath, the temperature was a thing of perfection, and he was loath to go indoors as the carriage pulled to a stop. Old man Peters had prophesied a thunderstorm, so he had brought the enclosed carriage and a driver. Even if the sky was a radiant blue without a threatening cloud in sight, Ethan wanted to be sure Lavinia and he wouldn't get soaked on the road, Peters was hardly ever wrong when it came to weather predictions.

Katherine Morgan's party was in two days, and although he wasn't excited about another social event, he was thrilled at the prospect of spending more time with Lavinia. He was going to dance with her, he thought with a grin, he would hold her close in his arms and see those beautiful eyes and the flash of that smile. It didn't matter if he was miserable for the rest of the night, holding her in his arms was a worth a thousand nights of misery.

It had been a week since his blind stupidity resulting in her unstoppable shivering, and he had been kept awake late every night with the memory of her body pressed against his, her face buried in her neck. For hours, he had tossed and turned, unable to get the image out of his head, and finding that he really had no desire to be free of it. When he did sleep, he dreamt again that she was with him, lying in his arms, her hands gently running through his hair, pushing it away from his face, her fingers so light on his skin, it felt like an angel's touch, yet surely no angel ever spread such fire in the its wake. In his dream, he would press closer still, and just before he had a chance to press his lips against hers with all the passion he felt, he would wake. Every morning it was the same, he had to fight himself not to mount a horse and ride to the Antrucha manor, take her in his arms, and kiss her so thoroughly, she would speechlessly reach for him, silently begging to his lips to meet hers again in a passionate embrace.

Entering the large house he had avoided for so long, he gave his hat and gloces to the waiting footman.

"Ethan," Lord Antrucha swept into the foyer, a smile touching his face. "I am glad to see you on such a pleasant day!" Ethan returned the smile a little nervously.

"Ezra," He nodded his head respectfully.

"I only wish I could remain longer in your company, but alas, my dear wife is in need of my presence in town. No doubt she seeks my approval for such a quantity of purchases that will cost a small fortune. She had Cassandra have done nothing but shop for the past week, and I fear I shall soon have to find a bigger house to store all their frippery." Lord Antrucha shook his head dolefully.

Ethan chuckled, relief flooding him. Ezra had been cold, almost savage with him when he had returned with a shivering Lavinia the week before. Ethan had expected the man would give him nothing but cold glares and minute, icy responses.

"Did you need something?" Ezra said, donning a coat and gloves.

"I cam to see Lavinia." For a moment, Lord Antrucha's features drew into a snarl, but then he took a deep breath, masking his feelings.

"Why's that?" His voice was a little strained.

"I was hoping you would permit me to take her to an autumn festival among my tenants." Ethan shrugged uncomfortably at the sharp gaze that was levied on him. Suddenly, a smile broke out on Lord Antrucha's face.

"Ethan, my boy, do it. She's been pale and languid lately, she needs the fresh air, and it has me worried. It's as though a great weight has settled on her shoulders. She hasn't been outside all week, and I fear her mother has worked her too hard." Concern flitted across Ezra's features. "I only wish I could join you." He said, glancing ruefully at the door.