Chapter 7

Ethan hummed softly to himself as he drove. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, and he was happy. He had spent three more evening at the Antrucha's rather than stay in the solitary confines of his own home. He wondered what life would be like in the London house after Cassandra was his wife, but he still couldn't find it within himself to wrap his mind around that concept. He couldn't see himself married to that woman.

Marriage had been on his mind a lot lately. He couldn't stop thinking about what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a celebration of the union between two people, but what if one of the people was sad to be marrying the other? How could there be rejoicing when there was resistance and sorrow every step of the way? He would gladly admit that he wasn't in love with Cassandra, the very thought of marriage to her set his teeth on edge. She annoyed him to the core. What would life be like with her as his bride?

Unfortunately, he had no answer, but the prospect of his future was becoming more and more distasteful. Once he had thought of running off to seek his fortunes alone. But no, he'd never imagined himself going alone, in his mind, there had always been a dark-haired girl with large eyes standing beside him, a twinkle in her eyes and laughter on her lips.

Ethan drew a deep breath. He couldn't think like that. It was wrong. Grinding his teeth together, he tried to think of something else, but the alternative was nothing pleasant.

He hadn't received any further news of the return of the unpleasant reminder of his past, but he knew the letter was right, he was coming. Ethan had tried to stay cool and collected, but he knew the devious ways of the gentleman in question. There was no telling what would happen next.

With a sigh, he pulled his trap to a stop in front of the Antrucha mansion, tossing the reigns to a waiting servant, he headed directly for the stables. He was stupid for doing so, he told himself, but somehow he couldn't resist. The doors and windows were all open to let the cool end-of-summer air seep into the stalls and add freshness to the atmosphere. He halted at the doorway, watching the figure on the floor as it wiped a bridle clean.

"Shouldn't you be planning your garden party?" Lavinia gasped and looked up at him with startled eyes.

"Ethan," She breathed. "You scared me." She smiled and looked down at the work in her hands. Ethan chuckled and drew nearer to her. "Cassandra's not here." She said without looking up. "She's gone shopping."

"And flirting?" Ethan knelt beside the girl. In answer, Lavinia looked up at him for a moment, regret and sorrow in the depths of her glance, before she looked back down at her hands. "Well, I didn't come to see Cassandra, so it's fine."

"Did you want to see father?" She looked up at him again. "He's out too and so is mother."

"Then it's a good job I came looking for you," he grinned. She looked at him for a long moment before quickly looking away.

"You shouldn't say such things." She said softly.

"I came to ask you to go on a drive with me." He continued.

"A drive?" She gave him her full attention, setting the bridle aside, a sparkle rising in her eyes.

"Yes, I thought it would be better to get you used to handling horses from a trap than from their back." He said slowly, taking in her every feature.

"Me?" She frowned at him. "Drive? You're going to teach me?"

"If you'll let me." He shrugged, rising and holding out a hand to help her up.

"Let you?" She took his hand and fairly leapt up. Then her features calmed, and a doleful look came into her eyes. "I can't. It wouldn't be proper."

"Lavinia," He said covered her hand with his. "Not only would it be proper, but it would safer. You cannot go through life not knowing how to handle a horse. What if there were an emergency? I'm asking you to let me teach you as a brother because I care. I won't always be able to find you in storms when a horse has thrown you." She bit her lip.