Chapter 9

"Are you sure Lord Greythorne and Lady Donovan should be seated next to one another?" Lord Antrucha lifted on of the name cards and sent a curiously glance down the table at Lavinia who was arranging a bouquet of flowers in a vase. "They argue the entire time they're in each other's company." Ethan grinned, his own gaze shifting to Lavinia's figure.

"Yes, I'm sure, papa," she said. "Quite sure." She added looked up the table at her father. Ethan studied her for a moment. There was a bright light in her eyes, and her smile brought a rosy blush to her cheeks, and her eyes. . .he couldn't get enough of her eyes. They were so big and innocent, so ready to be filled with mirth, he found himself wishing he could stare into their depths for the rest of his life. "If they weren't seated next to each other, they would be sure to think our party was the worst of the season. They enjoy their arguing so much they would feel quite at a loss if they discovered themselves seated elsewhere, and I doubt we would see their faces next year." Lavinia moved up the long table toward them, and Ethan cleared his throat, averting his gaze. She was so perfect, so lovely, and she was untouchable by him. He was going to be her brother.

With an effort, he kept his gaze from drifting back to her and watched the stream of servants rushing about the yard with table settings and fine linens, the last of the preparations before the arrival of the guests. He found himself surveying the scene with a swell of pride. He had helped put all of this together, and the work had been the most enjoyable pastime of his life. He grinned at the memory of Lavinia, Lord Antrucha, and him seated around a table with papers and snacks from the kitchen trying to scramble to finish all the planning. He wondered if he and Ezra had been a hinderance more than a help, but the party was planned and about to begin, so they couldn't have done too badly.

"It does seem silly to me." Ezra's voice made him grin. A side of the man had surfaced during their time together that Ethan had never expected to see, but that was nothing compared to what he had learned about Lavinia. She loved the rain and the smell of cut grass; not only did she like reading but she also enjoyed drawing and writing; she loved the sunset and the swirling fingers of mist that touched the world, but most of all, she loved to go for long, silent walks when the earth was windswept and wild, and she didn't care what her appearance was when she returned. Better still, he had seen her laugh many times, and he had had a hand in causing the laughter. When she laughed, she threw her head back and laughed so heartily that it seemed to reach the pit of her stomach. It was the most beautiful thing he had seen in his entire life.

Without even realizing it, his gaze had shifted back to her. She was in her usual grey-blue gown, her hair swept out of her face with a little extra flounce today, but none of those things mattered. To him, she was beautiful. Every feature of her face told a story, every wrinkle gave him another clue to whom she was. She was a mystery, and he found himself wishing he could be the detective that unraveled her, that knew every inch of her up and down from the graceful curve of her lips to her small feet. Every feature, every 'oddity', everything.

"Papa, you seem to forget that I have been planning this thing for almost five years." Lavinia deftly stole the name card from her father and put it back in its place.

"Quite so," Ezra shrugged. "And you've done a beautiful job of it, my love. Don't you agree, Ethan?"

"Yes." She looked up at the word and smiled bashfully, her eyes never faltering as they held his gaze.

"When will your mother be down do you think?" Ezra said, causing Lavinia to look away from Ethan and down at her hands.

"I don't know." She said softly.

"She'd best hurry, I think someone's just turned in the drive." Lavinia's head snapped up, and both she and Ethan turned to watch the fine carriage make its way up the lane. It would appear the garden party was beginning.