Chapter 29: Friends in Low Places

Will stepped back into the ball room. Time to make another appearance. Stay out too long, and someone might get suspicious... And perhaps do some talking, too. He wondered if Carrie was around. The two of them always had such lovely talks. The doorway was blocked by Louis, however.

"Where is he?" Louis asked, sternly.

"Who? There's a lot of 'he's' around here," replied Will. He was in a good mood. The scotch was agreeing with him tonight.

"You know who. Damion knows things about me that I don't. And that doesn't sit well with me." Will leaned in, whispering something in Louis' ear. Louis nodded and lumbered out.

Then came John.

"Where'd Charlie go?"

Will shook his head, smiling. "The boy's fine. He left with a girl."

"Yeah, that's why I'm worried. Last time, he showed up late, and looking pretty rough."

"John, I appreciate the concern you have for your teammates, but it's probably best he doesn't have a partner for this. Go with Louis, you'll get filled in." John nodded his head, then walked past him. Will's eyes rolled, and he walked into the crowd, his cane tapping against the tile floor.

"Fancy seeing you here," came a husky, female voice from behind him. He grinned, then spun around. Carrie Barlow stood behind him.

"It's funny. It's almost like I own the place..."

"Just dance with me, wise ass," she said smiling, extending her hand. He chuckled, took her hand, and grabbed her waist.

"Oh, so you can dance, skinny?" she said, almost mockingly.

"Hey don't get any ideas. Completely platonic."

"Relax, you're not my type, anyway." They both chuckled a little. "I never did get to formally thank you for your team's work at the Brig."

"Please, it was no big deal. None of them even got hurt!"

"You know, most people would be happy their men made it back in one piece."

"Well most people are boring. You and I both know what it takes to make it out here. Just a touch of madness."

"Or a lot, in some people's case." She paused. "But, there is something about that whole ordeal that's been bugging me... What was Karlov's special team doing with your goon squad?"

Will smiled again, rolling his eyes. "It's a long story."

"This is a long song..."

"Yes, but what with present company..."

She opened her mouth to speak, then stopped, searching for words. Then they came to her. "You're on his shitlist, aren't ya?"

"Well, it's entirely possible."

"What the hell did you do to piss him off this bad?"

"Well, if you believe the rumors..."

"Which, let's say I do."

"Then I may or may not have been indirectly responsible for one of his bases going up in flames."

"So that ordeal in Reno was your fault?"

"I will neither confirm nor deny that."

"Then you're in deep shit. Like you shouldn't be telling me this deep." She stopped. "Why are you telling me this, actually?"