Chapter 38: Come Together

Simmons left the craft idle. Will and Nox stepped out, looking upon Koyec. It was a small town, with dozens of multi-story buildings of brown wood and red brick. The colors stood out strikingly against the gray background, the otherwise dull reds taking on an almost fluorescent and neon quality. There was no sign of the Zhar-Ptitsa yet. People were standing in the doorways and peeking out the window. All observing.

"Why are they watching us?" Will asked Nox uneasily as they made their way to the center of town.

"People don't often come here unless they have business. They want to know what brings you here," Nox replied. Will silently nodded his head.

"So now we just wait for them and hope our team gets here in time," Will said quietly, looking around at the faces of his audience. All awestruck, confused, wary. Children ducked behind the windows when Will noticed them.

"It's good they're here," Nox muttered, his eyes still forward. "I want witnesses for this."

"You know, I've been meaning to ask. What are you getting out of all this? I can't seem to figure out why you want him dead. You don't seem like the type who's after justice... Or power."

"My reasons are my own."

"Well, all ours are."

"True. But we all have the same goal. It doesn't really matter why as long as it gets done."

"Very true..."

"Just don't forget why you're here. Sometimes it's all too easy to do that."

"Not for me. My purpose is clear."

"Power?"

"The power he took from me. The power I'm rightly due. The power and the freedom that I won."

"Remember that."

"I always will, so long as you don't forget yours."

Nox's voice carried a sinister, angry note, "I can't possibly forget." Will nodded his head, knowing not to go any farther. Whatever Nox got out of this had to be personal. The two reached the center of the town. Will puffed his chest out, popping his back. "Excuse me!" he shouted aloud. "Is the mayor in right now?" Silence. A man stepped out of the building. Modestly dressed, middle aged. He must be the mayor. "What do you want?" he asked Will.

"I have a meeting here. Wait, did you not hear?"

"No..."

"Well, you're in for a surprise then!"

"Who else are you meeting with? And what's this about?"

"Czar Abram. Negotiating for peace. Well, trying. But I'm fully expecting things to go awry."

"So you came to warn me, not ask for permission."

"Well Abram won't be asking... They'll be here tomorrow. I'd have the town evacuated by then." The mayor stood there, staring at him like he was a madman who just told him that he kicks puppies for fun. "Well, get to it!" Will shouted. The mayor scurried off. His audience was still watching. "Come on, Nox. Let's find somewhere to stay for the night."

The team made camp under a bluff outside of Koyec, so the campfire would not be seen from the city. The smoke perfectly blended with the gray, hazy atmosphere, making them practically undetectable. John, Louis, and Red were huddled around the small fire, trying to keep warm in the cold air of the northern autumn. Night came early and dark now—darker than any night before. All the celestial bodies hid away from this part of the world. Even they seemed too frightened of it to cast any light upon it. No moon. No stars. There were no heavens here. Charlie was away from the group, nearly invisible in the haze were it not for the ember of his cigarette hanging in the air like a drunken firefly. Louis stared straight into the fire like he was searching for answers within the cinders. John was watching Charlie's ember, entranced by the erratic movements. Red was staring at the ground in front of her. Something about her was off. Her standard posture—straight back, head up, legs crossed underneath her—was gone. Her head and back were slouched, her knees were up, her legs open, hugging her knees loosely. She seemed distraught, almost. Like something was eating away at her. But what foul acid was it that had corroded her steely resolve? Louis was the only one who noticed it.