Chapter 40: Built for War

John is watching the meeting, unable to hear a word. He wonders how this meeting is going, trying to make some inferences through what he can see. Will seems relaxed, slouched back in his chair. He is confident, aware of the situation's dramatic irony. Nox is pacing about behind Will. He seems impatient, waiting for the big moment. The guards—hmm, guards. He wonders how Will and Nox will get out of that room once he takes the shot, especially since they don't have any weapons on them. He voices his concerns to Red. She doesn't reply, not knowing herself. Eventually, she reasons they must have a plan. At least Nox would. He looks at Karlov through the scope, training the crosshairs on the tyrant's head, where his crown would lay. Staring at him, John felt... nothing. No anger, even though this man was an object of hatred. No anxiety, even though he knew the stakes. No joy, even though he had been fighting for years for this very moment. He was calm. Zen. Like a Shaolin monk. He was simply there.

Then he got Charlie's message. He heard Baron cackling over the comlink. "I'm waiting for Will's signal. What's going on?"

"Fuck all! The Baron's loose. I'm gonna try to stop him. Or something."

"Good luck." Then John turns to Red. "Baron's out."

"That's the last thing we need right now," she grumbles. John tapped his earpiece three times to Will, indicating he needs to move faster. He slides back the bolt on the action, gliding the bullet into the chamber with a satisfying click. He flips off the safety with his thumb, turning the metal tube into an instrument of death. He listens to his breathing, getting a feel for the natural rhythm and pauses in his breath. Sped up slightly because of the poor air quality. Through the scope he sees Karlov begin to stand. Will quickly follows, motioning for him to sit back down in his chair. John's finger hovers over the trigger. Then he notices something. His finger trembling slightly. Not now damnit... No time to think. If Will doesn't hurry up...

"My decision?" Will asks rhetorically. "I don't think I need to say it aloud. You should know well enough."

"I expected as much," Karlov replies, almost sounding dejected. "Why is it you would so willingly choose death when I offer you life? You truly must be a madman."

"A madman would say no, but only a morally-bankrupt moron would agree to your terms. I mean, usually that's the other way around, but not in this moment. Maybe it just takes a touch of madness to see the difference. I'd sooner die than live under your heel. And if my people die, then they die free men and women."

"Free? Free of what? Free of this world, perhaps. Rebelling will not save you from that. Let me ask you. Do you think the people of Dublin were happy to die free?"

"Of course they were, you bastard. We'd all be happy to be free of you." Karlov stared at Will in anger. "I think we're finished here." Karlov stands to leave. Quickly, Will stands. "No, no, no, stay!" he says, motioning his hands downward. "We have more to say."

"I will not stay to be berated by a child like you. What more do you have?" Karlov asks. Will freezes in thought, trying desperately to stall Karlov. "I have plenty more to say," chimes in Nox, coming to the rescue. Karlov, still standing, turns to the hooded man. "Ahh, Spillane's shadow. Will you merely echo him?"

"I am a man of my own free will, here on my own volition. Some of my desires may coincide with him, but not all mine are the same." Will listens to Nox, confused.

"I said a few minutes ago that we had once met," Nox continues. "In truth, we met several times. All in the World Before. Before you became the Tyrant. Before you called yourself Czar. Before your wife died." Karlov's mouth is shut, his lips pursed. His glare piercing, dissecting Nox with his eyes. Nox has struck a nerve, it would seem. But why the ornateness, Will wonders.