Chapter 32: Battle Royale

"Surprised it took you this long, Víbora," Charlie says, grinning, staring Gael in the eyes. Charlie is oddly calm, almost cheery. Especially for a man with a blade to his throat.

"Why are you smiling, coño?"

"Because now I have a reason to let loose and kill you, mudak. No more of this cloak and dagger bullshit."

"Says the man with the blade to his throat." Everything about Gael is pissing Charlie off. The way he rolls his r's. The smug grin on his face.

"Where are your other friends?" Charlie asks. Just as soon as he asked, GLOK appears over the hill. Where was Seo?

"I could ask you the same, Gray Wolf. There should be two more of you." GLOK's arm cannon pops out, and the laser sight drifts over to the left of Louis, then trains to one spot. "Well, now one more," Damion says, the revolver now to Louis' chest. It's a .50 BMG revolver. Louis just now realizes why it looks familiar. It's his revolver. Damion must have stolen it from him at some point. "That's my gun," Louis grumbles at Damion.

"It's mine now," he retorts. There is a sigh as Red disables her cloaking device. "He has thermal, doesn't he?" she asks, disappointed.

A few meters out, John is watching the situation unfold. Shit... He quickly trains his rifle over to Damion's head. The bigger man is the bigger threat, and Gael and GLOK stand no chance against the others. But then he stops. He realizes he is the only one watching the road for the tanks. Maybe they can stall long enough for John to call in the artillery? John doubts it. But a shot would give away his element of surprise. And if he shot Damion, Gael would likely kill Charlie. And he can't let his teammates die. Nor can he compromise the mission, though. What can he do? John stops. Aren't there four of them? Where is Seo?

Then comes the sound of boot steps behind him to answer that question. John doesn't move. Seo walks over to him, then straddles his back.

"What do you think you're doing, ranger?" he asks John, his Korean accent thick and heavy. John seems to freeze. "I thought I recognized you from all those years ago, back in Moscow," Seo says, as he reaches down to John's throat.

John makes his decision.

His finger squeezes the trigger, and he rolls onto his back. Abandoning the rifle, he swings with his left fist, striking Seo square in the jaw.

The bullet doesn't kill anyone. It strikes the stone between Gael and Damion, embedding itself deep within the rocks. Fragments come flying out of the entry hole like a flechette. The bits of rock skim past Gael's face and Damion's back. The two recoil with sudden shock, and John's teammates quickly spring into action. Charlie grabs Gael' ankle, wraps his legs around it, then rolls to the ground, putting him in a heel lock. Louis lashes out with a lightning fast jab, square to Damion's nose. Damion grins with delight, holstering the revolver and switching to his brass knuckles as the blood streams down his face. "Finally, a real fight!"

Red slides under GLOK's legs, pulling out a knife and slashing at a bundle of tubes and wires. There is a whirring sound as GLOK's torso spins around. Its left arm unfolds what appears to be a shield from its arm compartment. It winds back its arm, then catapults it forward. The plate of metal hits Red square in the chest. She flies back into the rocks, gasping on impact.

Seo rolls over, flipping to his feet. Touching a button on his wrist, sparks fly from the plates on his knuckles. John's rifle lay in the sand. John slowly stands up, maintaining eye contact. He cracks his knuckles, draws the Ka-Bar, and assumes a combat stance. Left foot forward, shoulder pointed toward Seo. Left arm bending at the elbow, perpendicular to his body. Right arm back, knife held backward. He is balanced on the balls of his feet, light and ready to spring forward. He is calm, focused. Neither of them speak. Just two professionals in a fight. John crow hops forward, taking a quick swipe at Seo with his knife. Seo jumps to the side, then counters with a straight punch. John ducks, then spins around, left foot out, catching Seo in the ribs. Seo flinches, pulling his elbow to his ribs. John quickly throws a right hook as a follow up, but Seo ducks and punches him in the stomach. John's muscles seize as the electricity surges through his body. He falls to his hands and knees, trying to catch his breath.