Questions and Secrets

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the event that happened in my Literature class, the rest of my day went pretty normal.

So I went home, said goodbye to my friends and head straight to my home.

"Mom!  I'm home!" Nobody answered.

I went to the kitchen and found a note on the fridge.

Adara,

I'm having an overtime today. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier because I don't want to disturb you in your sleep. i'm sorry I can't cook for supper but you can order pizza for your supper the money is on the counter.

Mom

I sighed then get the money on the counter, I did the things as she said and ordered pizza.

My mom is a single parent, she works as a nurse on the hospital next to our town. I know that she works really hard for me and I'm very thankful for that.

You see, I am an only child. Alice Parker, my mom, said that my father died in an accident when I was still a baby so I did not get the chance to know him. My mother and father is not really married so I inherited her surname which is Parker. My mom don't even have a picture of him and up until now my mon still did not tell me what particular accident is the cause of my father's death. But the only thing I knew about him is his name which is Alcander Zapheru. One thing for sure is he have a very unique name.

But now, I'm doubting my mother's honesty towards me. Whenever I start our conversation towards my father, she will always drift the subject. 

Flashback:

Three years ago. I was only 14 years old at that time. My mom and I are having a conversation about school. Then she asked me:

"Are there any cute boys that you like?"  she teased

"Ew mom" then I giggled.

"Hahaha your reaction is so cute, Adara. I always knew you are not like any other girls" then she smiled at me.

I was puzzled about what she said.

' I always knew you are not like any other girls'

That sentence keeps on repeating on my mind and I decided to remove that thought.

Then I asked her "Speaking of boys mom, what does my father look like?"

Then her smile disappeared and said:

"Uhhhmmm Adara, I don't want to talk about it. I'm tired and I'm going to sleep. Goodnight Adara"

Disappointment washed through me. Me being a 14 year old girl, I was always curious about things and so I told her:

"Mom please I wanna know. What was he like? IS he handsome? Why did he died? What's the reason mom? Answer me please." I pleaded.

But then her answer was hard. On that moment the sweet caring mother that I knew was gone. The brightness in her eyes were gone and it was replaced by a cold stare.

"I said Adara. LET.IT.GO!"

"No mom! I know you are hiding something. I don't want to let it go." I insisted.

"DON'T BE SUCH A BRAT AND LET IT GO! I TOLD YOU I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! WHAT PART OF THAT SIMPLE SENTENCE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!!!!!" 

Rage. Fury. Anger. Hatred. Displeasure. 

All of these are written on her face. 

I was stunned then I said: 

" I-Im s-so s-s-sorry, Mom. I won't repeat it again" I quietly told her then walked to my room and bid her a quiet goodnight. I did not even wait for her to respond.

I walked to my room still stunned and shut the door quietly. I laid on my bed thinking of what recently happened.Part of me was scared beacuse it was the first time I saw my mom look like that. She seems like she became like another person that I never knew, cold and dark.

 Different thoughts and questions ran through my mind.

What's the big deal of my father's death? I know that mom had already moved on about my father's death well she acts like she already did.

Why does she become so emotional whenever I asked her about my father?

I know one thing for sure that my father did not die on a simple accident. 

What is the secret that mom is hiding to me? 

And what is really the cause of father's death?

When morning came, I thought that she will scold me about what happened last night but instead she acted like nothing happened. The sweet and caring mother that I knew was back.

I was 14 years old at that time and I knew one thing for sure in my life.

I don't want to see the cold an dark mother that I saw last night ever again.

End of flashback

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT

FAN.