Chapter seven Crying and discovery

Saorise lay on the bed face down, tears poured out. She went to strike the pillow be should could not raise her arms. The energy she expelled running up the stairs and throwing herself on the bed was all she had. She was a little stronger, but not as strong as she needed to be. She needed even more strength than she had before she was taken from her home. She wanted to go back home, it held the memories of her family. It was where her father had her on his knees, telling her stories. It was the place where her mom would wipe away her tears with a gentle touch after she hurt herself. It was where she played with her brothers and sisters. She was the youngest and they all doted on her. Now it seemed that she would loose the home of her memories. She needed the walls of the palace to help her remember, without it she was afraid she’d forget her family.

How could they not see the falseness being played on them. Her doppleganger willing to accept what she vehemently denied the other day. She would never hold her self to the church. The high priest was like an enemy to her and Jermain knew that. What was happening to her world.

The high priest would gain the power he desired with this union and there was no one to scream foul. She should have been more wary of him. It had to have been the priest who had set this up. He may have communion with the gods, but it would not be to far of a reach for him to involve himself with the dark. As a high priest he would have access to the world of sin. Saorise wondered if he would truly betray the Gods for a little bit of power.

That was not only thing that bothered her, she didn’t realize that people thought her bad for the kingdom. When the collector came and spouted off that nonsense about her it hurt. Was the kingdom better off without her and was she hated so much?

Someone knocked on the wall. She looked at the door towards the noise and found the boy standing just outside the doorway. She felt ashamed that he had saw her in this condition and witnessed her flight upstairs. Why did she not think to close the door. As it is the boy stood outside the entrance, his head down trying to look at her. At least he had some decency not to come in and see her tear stained face.

“Stay there don’t come in.” She didn’t know why she didn’t send him away. That should have been her first response. It must be because she was unwell and her mind wasn’t as quick in dealing with things because of it.

“Are you okay?”

The boy sound concerned, but what kind of a question was that. She wasn’t okay. He should be able to see that. If she was okay she wouldn’t be crying and she wouldn’t fle the kitchen. “What do you think?”

There was a pause an unwelcome gap that made Saorise feel uneasy. Was the boy slow?

“No, your not. Something the man said upset you. It was about the queen.” Again there was this long pause. “Your close to the queen, how could you not be with a reaction like that. Were you a friend?”

Saorise had to reassess the boy. He was not slow at all, it seemed the delay was from careful thinking. How was she going to explain her outburst to him. She couldn’t tell him the truth. She didn’t want to expose her identity to him, not that he’d believe her. After all the queen is supposed to be sitting safely in the palace.

“I was close to her, she shared secrets with me when we were little.”

“Your family to the queen?” The boy blurted it out, she could see his shocked expression.

“No, not family. I helped her in the castle, made sure she had comfort before she went to bed.”

“A chamber maid? What would the queens chambermaid be doing out here. Should you not go back to the castle.”