Aftermath

The wind howled, and trees brushed against the house. Dillon sat in the root cellar with the Dudlows and Beth. Missus Dudlow had a few scratches on her arms from a tree that fell on her. It was lucky that it was not the main trunk or she would have suffered worse. If he had not come to the farm, Master Dudlow would not have anyone to help lift the brunch off her and she may have ended up dead. The root cellar was an ideal holdout against the storm. It was dugout the ground was earth and the walls were lined with stone. The cellar was cold, perfect for keeping hardy vegetables throughout the winter. The Dudlows held each other and Beth looked like a frightened child. She jumped with each crack of thunder and covered her ears. When she put her head down between her knees Dillon felt a need to comfort her. He took his arm and wrapped it around her shoulders. Instead of shrinking back she leaned into his arm. He felt the warmth of her body and that feeling gave him comfort back.

He was not the kind of person to be nervous with a bad storm, but he was upset with the damage that the Dudlow’s property received. They were a kind and helpful couple and he didn’t want to see them suffer. The storm continued its relentless pounding and occasionally he could hear bangs and thuds. Dillon could only imagine what was been thrown at the house by the wind. He felt shifting beside him and Beth leaned against his shoulder and fell asleep. It was dark and he wondered if she knew that she was leaning on him.

She didn’t care too much about him, though she had softened up a little since her crying outburst that sent her upstairs. There was no point in staying up and he took her example and fell asleep.

When he woke up the sound of the wind had disappeared, he couldn’t tell what the time was in the cellar. It was too dark. He smelt a fragrant warmth beside his head. Beth had somehow leaned her head onto his. He decided to wait for her to wake before he got up. The door to the cellar opened and light filtered in. Beth woke up and stood straight up and pushed Dillon away.

“How could you take advantage of me?”

Dillon’s mouth hung open “Advantage? I would not—”

“Then explain why you were rest against me so casually, like, like” Her face scrunched up. Clearly upset with him. “Like husband and wife.”

“You leaned against me all I did was put an arm around you when you looked scared. You didn’t object then so why should you care if you leaned on me.”

“You disgust me. I don’t want you to ever touch me again.”

“Fine, I won’t, just make sure you keep your hands to yourself.”

Beth closed her fists and screamed “Don’t think were done with this.” She walked out of the cellar and Master Dillon walked in.

“Girl trouble?”

Dillon nodded. “I miss home, I never had to deal with girls like her.”

“She does seem to be a special girl, just ignore it, she’ll warm up to you later on.”

“I don’t think I want her to warm up to me.”

Master Dudlow laughed. “Come boy, I need your help to survey the farm. The storm did a number on the house.”

When Dillon walked out of the cellar he found a motionless beth staring at a the devastation. The house was gone, it was just a mass of wet splintered would and seeder shingles. Clothing was everywhere, one bed was stuck in a tree.

“We were lucky.”

Beth sobbed. “Lucky how can you call this lucky?”

“We have our lives.” Master Dudlow pointed to the Barn. “Look, the barn is untouched, at least we have some shelter until we get things back to normal.”