Feathered evil

She didn’t know where she found the strength, Dillion was taller and much heavier than her. She could feel his tight muscles pressing on her shoulder. He was still conscious and he moved one foot in front of the other while she kept him up. She couldn’t believe how the poison acted on him. She heard of poisons that would kill in an instant, but this one was nothing of the kind, it blackened the wound and where blood should have been dripping was an wholesome looking scab.  Dillon sweated and she could feel the heat of his body. He wouldn’t be able to last much longer, she didn’t even know where she could get treatment for him. As the queen she could order one of her healers, but that was not possible now. If she tried, Dillon and her would most likely die. She knew Jermain was the traitor, but how many men did he have in the castle under his control. Jermain was the only person she had trusted in the castle, she thought of him as a kind person, not a the hellish nightmare he perpetrated on her family. To think he was the one who was responsible for her family's deaths and even Dillons. Both their lives had been changed my Jermain. She wouldn’t have been the queen and Dillon would have followed in his fathers footsteps. The ironic thing about it was that she would most likely have met Dillon if bothe their families alive.

Saorice pressed her lips together, she needed to stop thinking of things that did not matter at this moment, Dillon was dying. The streets were unusually quiet, even though evening had fell, she thought people would still be hanging about reveling in celebration. They could just be holed up in the taverns continuing their drink after the left the courtyard. Still she should see the city watch patrolling at night. The street lights were lit  with candles, the flickering flame made event the stillest shadow move.  If she took Dillon to a Tavern, perhaps someone could help, but she had no money to pay for service and in the city it was unlikely that they would provide service for free.

She wanted to cry, she had done so much already her tears were dry.  The burden of carrying Dillon became heavier and it Dillons steps faltered. She heard a grunt escape him. “Dillon?”  He wheezed, but no words came out. “Come on Dillon keep moving, you're not going to die on me.” He wheezed again and she pulled forward. Dillon took one step and fell. His body landed on top of her pinning her to the ground. AIr was pushed out of her lungs as the weight pressed on her chest and she had a hard time recovering her breath. she tried pushing Dillon of her and cursed for the lack of muscle she had. She could feel Dillons chest rise, he was still alive. “Dillon, get up.” He didn’t move nor did he wheezed, Dillon was far too gone to be of help to her or himself. Dillon would die on top of her.

She heard the shuffling of feet dragging on the cobblestone street, She craned her neck to see who was there. She hoped it was help, not Jermain and his cronies. She hoped Jermain was still in the house laying down on the floor. She wasn’t ready to deal with him now. The shuffling came closer, they were not the sounds from hard booted feet of the guards or the City watch. She craned her head and she could see dark black robes closing the distance, though they were not hurrying towards her and Dillon, did they not even see the. She was going to shout out to them hoping they could help, but a hand covered her mouth stopping her from doing so.  Dillon was lifted off her body and she was pulled up. She didn’t have a good view of the person who picked her up, nor of Dillon. Whoever had helped them was behind her. She was held by a stranger , though she wanted to turn her head and look to see who held her, her eyes were caught by the blacked robed men. Their heads were cowled and bent down, they were the same men whose raven had perched on Dillons shoulder and scared away the foreign priest. She didn’t know what they wanted from him and she didn’t know what they were doing out in the streets.  There were twelve before her and they were heading in her direction. They didn’t move fast, something seemed wrong as if they were new to walking. The cowled men lifted, their heads and red glowing eyes peered at her.