recuperation

a Soft wet sponge was applied to his face, he had become hot again after a few hours passed and with his fever he wretched, Saorice had a harder time, she had moaned all night and her vomiting was continuous. The priests had hydrated her with foul smelling concoctions, they must have tasted terrible, Saorice kept pushing them away. It got to the point that she was held from behind by on priest while another kept her head still so a third would be able to pour it into her mouth. They didn’t hold her tight enough and she knocked over the priest in front of her. The foul liquid landed on the priests robes and he was forced to leave, he smelt far worse than a skunk.   It was time passed slowly and it felt like he was drained, the high priest visited often, but kept mumbling to himself. He wished he could judge the passage of time, but his fever ruined his sense of it. When he slept his dreams were giant towers burning , people disappearing with a flash of light and giant smoky mushroom clouds filled the air. The additional dreams of blistered woman and children walking through a rain of ash scrounging for food did not help either. His eyes opened and he rolled onto his side.. Saorice arm reached out into the air her hand looked as if it were trying to grab something. He eyes were closed. If he was capable he would grab her arm and pull it down. The best he could do was roll towards her and have his shoulder touch hers. The contact seemed to calm her and she let her arm fall down.  Hours turned to days and the priest were spoon feeding them their meals, he and Saorice stopped vomiting and began to regain their strength. Soon they were able to sit up, but the soreness of their throat prevented them from speaking.

A couple more day and they were standing. The high Priest came and gave a satisfied grunt when he saw that they were able to stand. “Are your voices back.” Both Dilon Saroice nodded their heads. The high priest frowned at them.

“What happened?”

Dillon shrugged his shoulders “I don’t understand it, the statues on the tomb, they all came alive. I think it happened when I touched the eyes. The looked human except for the odd voices and eyes that didn’t have pupils.  Then once it grabbed it pushed something through my skin. Saorice helped me then there were more of the things and she was given the same treatment.” Dillon furrowed his eyebrows. “They had bands on their arm and they floated intot he air and disappeared into us. You came in when they were done with us. I don’t know what they did. It hurt, much more than the poisen that nearly killed me. What kind of magic is this?.”

The high priest rubbed his thick eyebrows. “I don’t know. I’ve examined these tombs and nothing strange had happened before. I was never able to remove the lids, nor were my predecessors able too. But by your account these things are not tombs, perhaps they are homunculi  that were in slumber.”

“I don’t think so the fake queen had more life than these things and you believe she is one. They may look human, but they didn’t act it.”

Saorice blinked. “They mentioned Alpha and Beta protocols. I think they were referring to us, Dillon the Alpha and I the Beta. What ever that means.”

“It almost sounds if they have joined the pair of you at the hip. I don’t what this means and I have no idea how this relates to both your futures, I don’t think there is much we could do apart cutting you open and I highly doubt you would either one of you would want that.  Saorice you still have your duties to the kingdom and we can not selay. This unfortunate event has already made it riskier for you to be traveling about.  Dillon, I trust you will be remain with the queen.”

“Yes.”

“Good, I’m not sure if it would be possible to part the pair of you. I just hope that the world is safe in your hands.”

“I have your gear waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, I’m not going with you. This council business will be taking up too much of my time and I have to find a way to keep the nobles calm.”