Hostage

Saorice, felt like she had arrived home, she loved the Dudlow’s and the way they treated her. Even Sara knowing that she was the queen, just treated her as a normal girl. She missed the attention that her mother had given her when she was alive and in a way Sara was like a substitute. Her mother used to brush her hair when she was younger, and she could remember the soft perfume scent from her mom as she leaned into her shoulder and gave her a squeeze. Sara wasn’t that kind of person, she talked more to her and instead of perfume she smelt of soap. Saorice new she would never have the close contact she had with her mother again and no one could ever replace that. Nor could the rest of her family be substituted. She’ll make connections and may care about other people, but she would never forget those in her heart.

Dillon had asked Broden to stay behind. The big man never talked but he did listen. They didn’t have anything against him and if it were not for his unnatural size and somewhat inhuman look they would have brought him. But his presence would frighten most people and they didn’t want to scare the Dudlow’s. So they went off alone. The farm was strangely quiet, Master Dudlow was not tending to his field as he normally would during this time of day. The silence was unnerving, even the road in front of the farm would have someone pulling a cart. The geese spied them and made a ruckus, they recognized Dillon and her so while they were noisy they didn’t nip on them as they would have in the past. The windows in the house had the curtains drawn making it feel uninviting.

Dillon pace slowed down. “Somethings wrong.”

Saorice placed a hand on his shoulder. “I Know.” Together side by side they approached the door to the house, Dillon pulled out his long sword and turned on the knob. The door wasn’t locked and he pushed the door open. Saorice walked in and drew her sword. There was a muffled voice coming from the kitchen and they silently walked towards the noise. Saorice gasped Sara was on the floor, rope bound her legs and arms. A cloth was stuffed into her mouth. Dillon went to cut the ropes, Sara’s eyes were wide and pleading. Saorice didn’t understand why she would give her that kind of a look instead of one of relief until she realized that Sara’s eyes were not focused on her, but at something behind her. Sara quickly spun around with her blade in front of her as she spun her sword made contact with a mans stomach and sliced it open. Before the man fell to the ground, she could see that he held a knife high above his head. If she had delayed a second longer that knife would have been buried in her back and she’d be dead. As he fell the man stared up at her, his face was in shock. Saorice stepped back, the face was familiar to her. It was one of her abductors. The one who she say kill the guard before she was taken away. Her abductors body lay in a twisted heap on the floor, blood pooled around him and he stared accusingly at her. She stood frozen, she had never killed anyone before. It felt awful, even though the person that lay at her feet murdered someone and had abducted her it didn’t make her feel about killing this person. She wanted to be sick. She didn’t know she was falling until Dillon caught her.

“Easy.”

“I Killed him.”

“I Know.”

“It doesn’t feel right.”

“I don’t think killing another human being should ever feel right.”

Saorice looked around the room and there was no sight of Sara. She feared something had happened to her friend.“Sara, where’s Sara?”

“I’m here.” Sara walked into the kitchen carrying a belt that held a dagger on and belted it around her waist.

“What are you doing?”

“Getting my husband back, I didn’t spend thirty years of marriage to that fool for him to be taken away by some unwholesome thugs.”

“They took him? Why?”