Choices

Saorice couldn’t help feel anxious waiting for Dillon, he may be a commoner, but he was ready to help her. No questions asked, even though she was rude to him. She had been rude to many people in her life. The full awareness of it did not come to her until coming face to face with Barnab again. The anger he had towards her was unexpected looking through her own eyes. Looking through the eyes of the other folk, the less fortunate she could see why he was angry. With a slight push the wrong way the common folk could all Barnab. How did her dad gain the respect of these people. No one told her. These people worked really hard only to receive little back from their queen. Only now after she lost the thrown to an impostor did they get some sort of tax relief from the storm. She wondered if she was still on the thrown if that would have happened. If it was Jermain’s idea maybe, but what scared her is if it was the idea of the impostor than that meant she was a better queen then her. Should she even bother getting her crown back.

Saorice began caring about the Dudlows even Dillon and seeing the people helping each other out she started caring for them. No matter what was thrown at them they survived. It made life at the palace trivial in comparison. Nobel’s came to her to petition for more land or change laws that would favor them. None of the request were for their survival though they would make it sound so. The laborers, the peasants of her kingdom were far more deserving. If only should could have seen this before. She wanted to make up for what she had done to Barnab. At this point she didn’t know how. As the queen she could do so, she didn’t care if it made her look weak like Jermain said. She wondered if it were possible if Jermain’s advise could sometimes be wrong. Regardless she maybe the real queen, but she was not the one in power. There was no way she could ask forgiveness from the man now, it would prove that he was right about her being the queen and she was scared of his reaction. Regardless of her being the queen she had no power to do anything for the man the power laid in the hands of a look alike and even that power will disappear when she weds the church tomorrow.

The wedding would be a big affair and the fact that everyone was invited to attend was something unheard of. Even her father married her mother with only nobles in attendance. This was out of the ordinary and the security would have to be tremendous. She desired to be there herself. It sounded dumb, but she wanted to see what her doppelganger looked like. She heard the voice , but never had a chance to see the face. If opportunity presented itself she would find Jermain and have him fix everything. She was getting a headache and had to stop thinking.

She went to silhouette and brushed him. She was not gentle with brushing the stallion her strokes were firm and hard. She learned that he preferred it that way. It was hard work and she sweat from it. She was pleased to see that the sores were gone and the horse wounds were healed. The scars from the whip marks remained to be seen. With time she hoped it faded away.

“Your good to that animal.” Sarah had come into the barn with some feed for the chickens and geese. “Come help me out.” Sarah handed her some cracked corn and they both began spreading it on the dirt. Both the chickens and geese launched after it causing some shving matches.

“I’m a rotten queen.”

Sarah placed her fists on her hips “What makes you say that?”

Saorice bit her lips. “It’s my fault that Barnab was in a rage, he had the right to kill me.”

“Don’t be say stupid things, life is precious and no one absolutely no one commoner, noble or the gods have the right to take life away.”

“But I ruined his life, in a way I have taken his.”

“No dear—you have not. He still has a beating heart and has a chance to rebuild his life. We’ll all help him in some way. His life has changed and things will be much harder on him because of it, but in the future who knows what will happen. He may even be better off because of it.”