2

Reader's POV

I rolled my eyes as I pushed my tray along the crowded lunch line. I had been here at base for a few years now. There are more kids here than anyone could count. But I heard that the number decreases every day. Because of that, more kids are being recruited. We all live by a strict schedule.

Wake up, eat breakfast, train, lunch, free time, dinner, sleep, repeat.

It turns you into a zombie after a while.

Gladly, I was moved to a 'dorm' in place of that wet cell. This room had an actual bed which was large enough for only one person, with a pillow and a sheet. There was a closet, desk, chair and a PA system. Like the cell, the only light source was a light bulb. The door was metal like the cell. But I was thankful that there was a small window built in. If you needed to use the restroom or shower, you had to go to a washroom. There were two located in every wing. One kid told me that the kids (ages 12 and under) live in the area where I live. Others 13 and over stay in a separate section of the base.

Lunch was peanut butter sandwiches and milk. Gross. I feel sorry for the children with peanut allergies. I put my tray in the dirty pile and wiped my hands on my trousers. All of the kids seem to wear the same uniform: a black turtleneck with the HYDRA symbol and black pants. I went on my merry way to visit my friend. He was my only friend and his name was Fredrick Brant. We were both the same age even though he was bigger than me in size. He resided on another floor. Because of this, I had a ways to travel.

On my way to Freddie's room, I passed two large ominous-looking doors. They had a symbol on them that I'd never seen before. I sometimes hear strange things coming from them. I shrugged the feeling off and continued to Freddie's dorm.

When I made it to Freddie's dorm, I knocked on his door. I frowned when I never heard a response. Growling in irritation, I retreated to the main room. This is where the kids can socialize. Hopefully, Freddie is here. When I made it to the main room, I could see him sitting in a corner. I went to him and placed my hand on his back. His tear-swollen brown eyes looked at me. He sniffed.

"What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. You weren't at lunch"

"Sorry. Miss K told me to come to her office after training"

I then noticed his black eye and swollen cheek.

"What happened to your face?" I asked him.

"She beat me when I messed up during training. It's ok though. It was my fault"

I grimaced. Stefani Kovovsky or 'Miss K' was in charge of the children's section including the children. If we did anything to piss her off, we would get punished. Training could be horrendous. Running, sparring, and worse. I lightly sighed and blinked my (E/c) eyes. I offered him my hand and a small smile.

"There's 20 minutes until lunch is over. Let's get you something to eat. You must be starving"