5

Reader's POV

I sat on my bed, filing my fingernails. I had been out of rehabilitation for a while now. I had to stay in that room for a few days. During those few days, I felt nauseous and I was plagued with seizures and violent thoughts. Then, they sterilize you. Its ok. I never wanted kids anyways. They're whiny brats who don't know their place. They do it because both males and females live together on base and children could mess up our missions. Because of the serum, healing only takes a few hours. Everyone has a certain role here. We're all specifically trained to fulfill that role. All cadets are dedicated and ready for any mission.

Thieves are in charge of stealing for HYDRA, assassins are in charge of taking out a particular person/people, guards stay here to protect the base, cadets on missions or high ranking members of HYDRA and soldiers are just...soldiers. Both Freddie and I fall in the category of thief and assassin. All cadets are trained even after the serum. Because of this, cadets can be mindless killing machines. Gladly, I can control myself.

After my fingernails were at their wanted length, I stood up and placed the file in my dresser. It was getting late and the chances of being deported for a mission were low. Every dorm has a PA system. I was a low rank. I decided to head out to the showers. I grabbed the bar of soap, shampoo and my pajamas which consisted of sweat pants and a plain t-shirt. I don't have many clothes in my closet. I headed towards the showers after opening the rusty metal door. Many of the dorms were dark. I came to the conclusion that the cadets were sleeping.

When I made it to the showers, I closed the curtain and turned on the water. I jumped and hissed when cold water came out. It took a few minutes for the water to change from freezing to hot. I sighed in happiness as I felt the warm water embrace my body. I shampooed my hair and used the bar of soap to quickly scrub my body. It didn't take long for the water to turn cold again. I turned the water off and opened the curtain. The showers were separate from the regular restrooms. They were standard public showers.

After drying off and getting dressed, I decided to visit Freddie before going to sleep. I used the stairs to head to his dorm. All of the males and females were separate from each other. The women reside on the lower half of base while the men reside on the upper half. When I arrived at his room, I knocked and grinned when he answered. He sleepily rubbed his eyes.

"Hey Y/N"

Even though both of us got the serum, he still towered over me. I laughed at his messy bed hair.

"I just stopped by to say goodnight"

"Good night. I'll talk to you tomorrow"

I was surprised when he suddenly slammed the door. The weight of it caused a shockwave of a sound to echo in the hallways. I shrugged and headed back to my dorm. It was almost 11 and I was feeling the tiredness already. I had to get up around 6 to head to breakfast then training. Only if I wasn't deployed for a mission. Again, the chances were slim. On the way, I passed by a blonde girl wearing a blue nightgown. Usually, if you pass by a stranger, you don't smile. That's saved for your friends. But I did it anyways. She walked over to me and spoke.

"Did you hear? A superhero group supposedly formed in the middle of New York City. They think they're so badass"

I looked at her. Gossip was the norm here. Especially for women because besides missions, we have no contact with the outside world. There was a 80% chance that what she was saying wasn't true. But there's a 20% chance that it was indeed true. There could be a 'badass' superhero group in the city.

"Do you think its true?" I asked.

She shrugged. "We should talk again sometime, but I really have to go now"

I frowned.

"Look for me tomorrow or I'll find you. By the way, my name is Marissa"

When I made it back to my dorm, I wrapped myself in the covers and fell asleep.

--------------------------------------

I jumped when I heard someone pound on my door. I quickly sat up and looked at the small clock. 6:02 AM.

"Wake up cadet! Report to the cafeteria now!"

After stretching, I put on my usual uniform. The uniform the adults wear resemble a standard soldier's one only in different colors; black shirt, belt, cameo pants and army boots. The color of the cameo depends on your category. Mine were blue. I wrapped my hair into a bun and trotted to the cafeteria. What wonders will await me this day?