3

Reader's POV

I loudly swallowed as I was forced to watch the gruesome scene in front of me. Poor Luther Ellis was being beat up. Not necessarily 'beat up' since its a part of our 'training'. Maiming your opponent to death is a part of training. You have to try to overpower your opponent. Two kids enter. One kid leaves. It's the rules. The sickening sound of bone cracking was enough to make me vomit. But I kept my breakfast d0wn. The other kids gasped in horror as Luther fell lifeless to the ground. The victor, Sampson Kruzenski stood tall with a look of regret. I could of sworn he was about to say something until Miss K interrupted him. She placed her arm around his smaller frame and smiled.

"Alright kids. Training is over. You can proceed to lunch".

Freddie grabbed my arm and ran away to the cafeteria.

"Who can eat after seeing that?" He asked.

I grabbed an apple and shook my head. He took a juice box and led me to a table. We both picked at our food and barely ate it.

"Its terrible. What they do here. Sometimes, I like to sit down and remember the life I had before this. When I lived with Felicity" A tear fell down his cheek.

Felicity was a kind woman who found Fredrick as a toddler. She took care of him and raised him as her own. I patted him on the back and awkwardly smiled.

The small group of kids who were forced to watch the training session had been recently moved to the older kid's section of the base. Miss K was only here to "help" us get settled in the new enviorment. This section wasn't much different than the other section.

"Let's go for a walk. Hopefully that will clear our minds"

Freddie hesitantly nodded and stood up. After throwing our food away, we exited the cafeteria. We passed a set of doors like the ones in the other section. I had to know what was behind them. So I turned around and placed my ear on a door.

"What are you doing? Get away from there!" Freddie shouted.

"You know what's behind them?" I asked.

Freddie gulped and refused to make eye contact.

"What is it? You can tell me".

"If I tell you, you'll be scarred for life. Even though it happens to everyone at some point..."

I was beyond confused as to what was behind these doors and what Freddie was talking about. I turned back around and looked at the tall doors. They appeared to be locked. There was a lock for a keycard on the side. I stared at the doors before almost wetting my pants. I suddenly heard screaming.

"No!"

"Make it stop!"

I grabbed Freddie's hand and we ran away as fast as we could. Whatever was behind those doors couldn't be good.