Chapter 18

Edmund had just finished a hilarious imitation of one of Susan's many would be suitors when the landline rang. Helen held the phone to her ear, spoke a few u'huh's and hung up.

"Children," Helen called from the front door as she slipped on her jacket, "Margaret has come down with a cold and I'll be covering for her. Be safe!" With that, she rushed out the door. Helen was one of the best cooks at Monica's Majestic Bakery, so she was often called in to cover for sick or vacationing employee's.

"Hmmm," Edmund was gazing at a spot on the carpet, deep in thought.

"Edmund?" Susan prompted.

"Oh." Edmund glanced up. Seeing their inquisitive facial expressions, he explained. "I just haven't been able to figure out who he is and what he is to Mom."

"Yeah, who was that guy?" Peter mused.

"He wasn't very nice" Susan remembered.

"Who?" Lucy inquired, breaking them out of their memories.

"Some guy came to our house to talk to Mom." Edmund began to explain but Peter but in angrily. "He barely spoke to us at all and didn't even introduce himself."

"He had dark black hair and dressed all in black. He was extremely pale." Susan inserted.

"As I was saying," Edmund spoke, "we didn't learn a lot about him and Mom seemed nervous. She recognized him for certain and wouldn't tell us about him."

Had any of them been looking at Lucy when Susan described the man they would have seen recognition flood Lucy's eyes before it was swiftly hidden.

Lucy knew who it was they were talking about and she silently decided not to tell them anything that involved Professor Snape except for the book about centaurs. However, she wouldn't tell them who lent it to her or her trip to the forest, even though she longed to tell them about the unicorn.