Chapter Three: Just a dream

It was hot and the air felt thick. It was heard to breathe, like something was covering his head. But he couldn't break free. Everything was tangled; his body feeling like someone had wrapped him up in a damp mass of fabric. Was he sinking? Or was someone restraining him?

Hiro thrashed, his arms and legs trying to break free. But then he was falling, thrown back by an explosion that was so blindingly bright he couldn't think let alone process what was going on. And he couldn't see his brother. He'd been there just a moment before, hadn't he? Where was Tadashi? He tried to call out to him, only to have hot ash flow into his lungs. He coughed, trying to disperse the embers, but couldn't. They burned, turning his body into a spasming mass of flesh as he tried to clear his airways.

He gasped, choked, and swung his arms, as if that would help. Was someone pouring the ashes into his nose and mouth? He couldn't see. Everything was dark, like he'd been blinded by the explosion. And it hurt. Everything hurt.

"It's okay."

He felt arms hold him down, making him want to struggle all the more. But they were too strong for him. Tears leaked from his eyes and he wished he could see but wasn't able to open his eyes.

"It's okay," the voice repeated. "I'm right here. You're safe. I'm safe. Nothing's going to happen to either of us."

It took a moment for Hiro to realize he was no being held down someone's arms but was actually cradled in them. His eyes fluttered open to dim lighting. Despite that, he recognized the outline of Tadashi's broad shoulders. "Tadashi!" he clung to the fabric of his brother's flannel pajamas.

Tadashi tried to smooth Hiro's hair. It was something he'd used to do when Hiro was younger. "I've got you," he reassured. "You're not in a fire and no one is burning. I'm right here."

Hiro sobbed, images of flames dancing out of the corners of his eyes. Had he dreamed of fire? He must have. And if he thought about it, he could just see the burning building, his brother running inside-

"No!" He pulled back from his brother's arms, scabs protesting, along with the bruises and abused muscles. "You died! You're dead! I saw you run into the fire!"

Taken a bit aback, Tadashi blinked in surprise before pulling Hiro closer, now just holding him in his arms like a small child. "Hey, it's okay. I'm not dead. I'm right here. And I'm not going anywhere."

But Hiro shook his head. "No. You died in the fire." Tears trickled down his face, his head feeling funny. Why did he still feel so tired? It didn't make sense.

"It was just a dream," Tadashi continued, using the same soothing voice as before. "No one's going to die. Not in a fire. Not anywhere. It's okay. Promise."

Hiro looked up, his eyes blurry from tears. He let out a hiccup, feeling rather small. "You're not dead?"

"No, bonehead. I'm not dead."

The boy seemed to settle more securely into his brother's arms. "That's a relief."

It took Tadashi a moment to realize Hiro had fallen back to sleep in his arms.

.......................................

The next time Hiro woke, he actually felt refreshed. Opening his eyes, he realized it was daytime. His stomach rumbled with hunger and he moved to sit up.

His blankets were all over the place, partially twisted around his body. That explained the feeling of being trapped, he supposed. He vaguely remembered Tadashi's voice, soothing away nightmares. Only there was a part of him that knew they weren't just nightmares.