Chapter Eleven: It pays to be prepared

The rumble of Tadashi's moped filled the silence as they drove towards the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. It only took Hiro a moment to realize where they were headed, though the greater part of him was too distracted to protest. At least it wasn't the hospital. Or anything resembling one.

"What does your nerd school have to do with treating my injuries?" Hiro asked. He seemed to realize the answer almost as soon as he'd asked it and fell silent.

Tadashi pulled up in front of the Ito Ishioka lab as smoothly as possible, parking the scooter. "You'll see soon enough," he replied, a slight smile on his face as he anticipated his brother's reaction. "Come on. I'll help you up the stairs."

If Tadashi was taking him where he thought he was, chances were good he might run into the gang, which meant he'd have to be reintroduced all over again. He knew it would have to happen eventually. Hiro wasn't sure he was ready for that just yet, especially not in his current condition. So he was very relieved when Tadashi bypassed the open lab area in favor of his private work space.

"In here," Tadashi beckoned as he slid his key card and opened the door. "I was hoping to show you this under different circumstances, but it can't be helped." He flipped on the lights as he entered the room, moving towards a swivel stool at the back of the room. "Sit," he instructed his brother, sounding more like he was giving an order than a request. He sent the stool across the floor with what was possibly meant to be a gentle push but had more energy behind it than was absolutely necessary.

The stool ran into Hiro's legs, causing the bruises there to flare up. "Ow!" he complained as he took the offered seating and moved to park himself on it. Tadashi didn't sound like he was playing around and he definitely didn't want to press his luck that his brother would change his mind about the hospital issue. That and the strength he'd used to push the stool said all he needed to know about his brother's current mood.

A telltale beeping sound came from over by the round window, the circular light on the red case sitting there lighting up before the thing unfolded and the robot inside inflated. Once properly activated, the robot stepped free of the case, waddling forward, unhindered by the stool that would have been there if Hiro weren't sitting on it. He came to a stop a meter or two from the injured boy. "Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. I was alerted to the need for medical attention when you said 'ow'."

Tadashi dispensed with the usual theatrics he'd employed the previous two times around with this introduction, for which Hiro was thankful. He was having a hard enough time as was just keeping his lungs going without making his ribs hurt too much. In fact, he was so focused on this aspect that he didn't give his brother's creation the proper attention.

The older Hamada was, admittedly, a bit disappointed when Hiro didn't seem to react to the greeting, though he supposed he couldn't blame his brother for it. "Baymax," he said to the robot, "my brother, Hiro, has managed to bang himself up pretty badly. I need you to scan him and let us know what we're dealing with."

Baymax seemed to contemplate his creator for a moment before turning back to Hiro. "I will scan you now," he announced, performing the function in less than a second. "Scan complete. You have sustained multiple contusions across eighty percent of your body, primarily focused on your chest and legs. You have also sustained multiple abrasions, which need to be disinfected and have an antibacterial substance applied to reduce the risk of infection. I also detect multiple fractures to your rib cage. These injuries have occurred to three ribs on your left side and two on your right."

An outline of a human body had appeared on Baymax's stomach from an internal projector as he spoke, each injury appearing on the outline as he announced it. The image looked far from pretty, making almost the entire outline fill with red.