Chapter Eight: A bit of motivation

It wasn't until late afternoon that Hiro finally convinced Tadashi all was well with the world and that he wasn't going to go and do something stupid. It had taken some doing, including emotional manipulation on his part, but he'd done it. Tadashi had gone back to the school to work on Baymax, leaving Hiro to his own devices.

As a pretext, he'd gone back down to the garage and started working on some random project, allowing himself to get lost in it until Tadashi was satisfied he wouldn't get into any trouble. But the moment Tadashi was out of sight, Hiro dropped the act like a hot potato.

He'd had a lot of time to think things through while he and his brother had played video games, something they hadn't done in a long time. He'd felt a bit childish about that, but it was fun to beat Tadashi over a fighting game. After all, he did have the edge only bot fighting could give him.

And now, well now Hiro prepared himself for battle by putting on his favorite dark blue hoodie, stuffing the neuro-transmitter inside the deep pocket. He could use that to call the microbots back, making it impossible for Callaghan to use them. Then, he would destroy them so no one could use them. It was a simple plan really. The expected success rate was high. And, if he did things right, he could be home in time for dinner.

Making sure no one was following him, Hiro made a mad dash down the street, following in the same footsteps he'd used over a year ago when chasing down Baymax over his "tiny robot". The memory made his heart squeeze just a little, as it was one of the major milestones towards becoming a super hero, but he didn't have time to think about that. At least he'd thought about bringing a lock cutter with him, remembering that last time there had been a lock on the warehouse door.

After a trip that seemed to take forever, Hiro finally made his way to the abandoned warehouse where Yokai had originally set up his lab to replicate the microbots. The place looked just as deserted as before, the mesh fencing open in one area in front of the two-story building. If he was going to think things in a technical manner, the last time he'd been there had been right before the asteroid had exploded in the sky. That had been a trip, one he didn't want to think about at the moment. It threatened to bring back the massive headache he'd had at the time.

Hiro made a quick check of the perimeter. Being a super hero for about a year had taught him a few things. Sure there was no one around, he pulled out the lock cutters and snipped the expected lock on the door. That took a bit more effort than he'd anticipated, but then he hadn't had the same physical experiences as the previous timeline. And there was no way he could climb up to reach the window Baymax had boosted him through the first time there either.

But the lock snapped and he was in. It was all so easy. Maybe too easy. Taking a moment to calm his pounding heart, Hiro removed the chain from the door and pushed it open.

Up ahead, Hiro could see the basic outlines of a lab coming together. Callaghan hadn't had enough time to really get thing going yet. After all, it had only been a day. But he could confirm that at least one blue bin had been moved to this location because he could see it standing a good dozen or so meters inside the building.

Moving as cautiously as possible, Hiro slipped inside. Yokai didn't have the transmitter yet, which gave him some confidence. There would be no surprise attack from the microbots. But maybe, just maybe, if he came across Callaghan, he could reason with him, let him know his reason for doing all this was flawed, that his daughter was still alive. And maybe convince him to let him help him get her back.

Okay, so he'd only thought about telling him that after he'd realized the man had gone through with the theft anyway. Hiro wasn't perfect, nor could he think everything through. But he was trying. His brain did still feel a bit mushy inside.