Chapter Eighteen: Don't you trust me?

Morning came far earlier than Hiro wanted. Sunlight streamed down through the window he'd forgotten to cover the night before, waking him. In his defense, he had been rather loopy at the time. And it had been late.

Hiro groaned, more out of protest than from pain, though everything still throbbed dully. The medicine he'd taken last night hadn't worn off just yet, which he thought a blessing. But his skin itched under the bandages and he had to resist the urge to scratch. It was a sign of healing, he'd been told countless times over the years. And if what had happened last night was any indication, scratching them again was not a good idea.

"Good morning, Hiro," Baymax greeted from across the room. He'd returned to his charging station once he was sure Tadashi had gone to sleep. "On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?" His stomach lit up with the ten faces that went from happy to agony.

Rubbing at his eyes, Hiro moved to sit up. He didn't have far to go, but it still took more than a little effort. "Four?" his throat felt a little gravely, though whether from sleep or something else was still up in the air.

Baymax stepped free of his case and shuffled towards the bed. "If you feel the need, you may take more pain medicine now." He indicated the prescription bottle on the computer desk next to the bed. "It is also advisable for you to take your antibiotics. You should take them at the prescribed intervals to insure maximum recovery."

That announcement brought another groan from Hiro's lips. They'd given him more than enough pills. Admittedly, part of him wished they'd given him the liquid form, though the taste probably wouldn't have made up for the difference in texture. "You take them," he grumped.

"I cannot take medicine," Baymax protested in a somewhat confused tone. "I am a robot. It would be more effective if you ingest the prescribed medication with food. Shall I inform Tadashi or your aunt that you are awake?"

That question seemed to get Hiro moving. 'No," he protested. As per usual, his body was stiff. Maybe it was because of the painkillers he'd been able to sleep, he realized. "I'm up. I'm up. I can make something to eat without their help. I'm not an invalid." To stave off Baymax's further concerns, he took one of the antibiotic pills and swallowed it dry, making him gag a bit. It threatened to stick in his throat, but, once he'd worked his mouth a bit, he managed to produce enough saliva to make it go down.

Baymax shuffled after Hiro as he made his way down to the second floor. He made sure to grab Hiro's other medicine before following the boy. He noticed Hiro had forgotten to take it with him. At least he'd used the banister for support, taking each step one at a time, instead of flying down them as he might have had he not been in pain. That was an improvement.

By the time the robot made it down the stairs, Hiro had made his way to the kitchen. He was halfway inside the fridge when Aunt Cass came into the room. "Morning," the woman yawned.

Not expecting anyone up just yet, Hiro almost jumped out of his skin, and that hurt. He swung around, the fridge closing as he braced himself against the counter, one hand to his chest as he tried to control his sudden heavy breathing. He clenched his teeth against the sensation, willing it to stop.

"Oh, Hiro! I'm so sorry!"

Before he knew it, his aunt had him by the shoulders and was gently steering him towards the nearest chair. She paused when she saw the giant inflatable marshmallow standing near the stairs.

Baymax gave a small wave. "Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. It is nice to meet you, Ms. Hamada."

Cass blinked, not realizing Hiro had slid down into the chair she'd steered him towards. She gave a half-hearted wave in return. "Hello. Where did you come from?"