chapter 9

"Daddy! Dad! Look what I drew!" a young boy who looked like he was about four or five came sprinting through the kitchen.

"Winnie, that looks incredible! Can I hang it on the fridge?" the man with ebony hair smiled affectionately at the boy.

Winston, who preferred to be called 'Winnie', eagerly nodded, handing over his masterpiece.

"Is that Daddy and I?" the other man asked, pointing to two stick figures on the paper.

"Duhh! See, I even drew your hair!" Winnie rolled his eyes, gesturing to the scribbles of black and brown on the top of the stick figures' heads.

"Dan, he even nailed our fringes. I think we might have to go out for ice cream to celebrate!" Phil suggested, glancing hopefully at his husband.

"You use anything as a reason to get ice cream, babe," Dan laughed.

"Pleeeeaaaassseee?" Winnie pleaded, sticking out his bottom lip and making his hands into sweater paws.

"How can you say no to those sweater paws?" Phil turned to the brunet, his eyes sparkling.

"True, but Winnie learned from the best," Dan smirked.

"Yeah! Dad is the most shrektastic role model EVER!" Winnie cheered, beaming.

Phil leaned close to his husband's ear. "Children are really impressionable. No swearing." he reminded quietly.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. We've had this talk before. I can't wait to teach Winnie 'All Star'." Dan grinned.

"You've already made the three of us suffer through Shrek marathons multiple times," the raven-haired man groaned.

As he left to put his son's drawing on the fridge, Dan and Winnie high fived.

****

"What are you getting?" Phil asked, walking up with his family to the ice cream parlor.

"Chocolate, like usual. This time I want rainbow sprinkles, though." Winnie replied.

"Hazelnut," Dan nodded, ruffling Winnie's hair despite his complaints. "I'm guessing you're getting the usual cookie dough?"

Phil smiled and gave Dan a thumbs up, "Yup!"

"Daaaddd I don't wanna stand, my legs are tired. Carry me!" the small brunet complained, tugging on Dan's hand.

"Last time I carried you when you were eating ice cream, your ice cream dripped onto my neck," Dan sighed, fixing his son with a look, "how about you ask daddy?"

Winnie turned to Phil expectantly.

"Okay, fine," Phil gave in almost instantly, gently putting the small boy on top of his shoulders.

After ordering, the three of them were happily licking their ice cream cones on a bench outside.

"The sunset is beautiful, isn't it?" Dan smiled, intertwining his free hand with Phil's.

"It sure is, but not as beautiful as you are." Phil answered smoothly, giving Dan's hand a squeeze.

"Get a room!" Winnie exasperatedly sighed from atop his father's shoulders. Dan and Phil exchanged horrified glances. After a moment of silence, the brunet cleared his throat.

"Winston, where did you learn that?" Dan asked, staring at his son with a serious expression.

"I heard Uncle Chris say it," the young boy admitted, suddenly finding great interest in his icecream cone. He didn't meet Dan's unwavering gaze.

Phil huffed, "I knew I shouldn't have let him babysit."

Dan chuckled, "I think it's time to get back home."

****

After a competitive game of charades, Dan had to put a protesting Winnie to bed.

"I don't want to go to bed!" the boy complained, trying to free himself from Dan's strong grip.

"Sorry Winnie, but it's bedtime." Dan carefully placed his son onto his bed. The little boy opened his mouth to reply with a retort, but a yawn came out instead. Phil's sapphire eyes glinted with amusement.

Dan lifted the cover over Winnie, tucking him in. He placed a kiss on his forehead. "Good night, I love you," he whispered.

Phil did the same, brushing a strand of his son's hair away from his forehead.

The two men walked into their own bedroom. Phil almost immediately collapsed onto their bed. "Parenting is so hard," he sighed.

"We literally just went for ice cream," Dan chuckled, "besides, it's worth it." He walked over to curl up against his husband's chest. Although he had grown taller than Phil, he still preferred to be the little spoon.

"Yeah, you're right," the raven-haired man grinned, pulling Dan closer. "I love you."

"I love you too," Dan turned his head to peck a kiss on Phil.

Phil smiled, placing a kiss on the back of the brunet's neck. It wasn't like the trail of kisses he gave Dan before they made love, but rather a passionate one to show how much he loved and appreciated him. The two men laid contentfully like that for a while, thinking about the beautiful future they would have together.

"What if all of those years ago you tuned me out?" Phil suddenly asked, breaking the silence

There was no doubt in Dan's mind as he answered, "Phil, you know I could never tune you out."

the end

*****

author's note // just to clarify, dan and phil got married when dan was 20 and phil was 24 and then adopted a child two years later. I was originally going to do a chapter on their honeymoon (which I planned to be in japan) or wedding but I decided not to. also, I've written a sad alternate ending which I'll post later. thank you to anyone who decided to read my story!