Chapter 12

Kris's POV

I grabbed my books for 5th period, a huge grin plastered on my face.

I replayed the scene of Chase telling me he was in love me in my head, my grin growing bigger, if that was even possible.

"Hey fag," a husky teasing voice I knew all too well whispered in my ear.

I turned around just as Chase wrapped his arms around my waist.

"H-hi," I whispered shyly, looking at him from under my eyelashes.

I blushed when Chase put two fingers under my chin, lifting up my face as he leaned in to kiss me.

"Hey Chase, what are you doing with that useless faggot?" Jake sneered, walking up to where we were standing, his groupies, or Chase's groupies trailing behind him.

Chase froze in his spot, fear evident in his brown orbs.

"What's up with you lately, man? You've been different ever since that fag showed up," Jake asked harshly, glaring at me in disgust.

I searched Chase's face for some kind of answer or clue of what he would say, but his face only showed a mix of fear and anxiety. I wanted to say something, anything to help Chase. But I knew I couldn't, so I stayed quiet as the scene played out in front of me.

"Dude, the fag's using you for your popularity. He's pathetic," Brett smirked, as Jake and the rest of the groupies laughed.

I watched as a crowd began to form around us, knowing this couldn't end well. Chase seemed to have noticed too because he tensed, looking at me terrified. His friends weren't gonna leave until they got what they want. They seemed to be forcing Chase to come out.

I'm so sorry, Chase. I-I don't know what to do. I really wish I could help you.

But what came next...

Shocked me.

My shoulder slammed into the locker as I was roughly pushed by the person who had just held me closely yesterday.

The person I loved deeply.

I clutched my shoulder wincing as the pain shot through me. I stared up at Chase in shock and hurt, tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

Chase's face was harsh and unforgiving, but his eyes told a different story. They held a combination of aching sadness, a plea for forgiveness, and hurt.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! You stupid faggot, stay the hell away from me!" Chase growled roughly. "Didn't you realize you were just but a toy to me? As if I would ever like a disgusting, worthless piece of shit, like you! You were clearly a mistake! What a joke to life! I hate you!"

Hurtful words and profanities spit from the same mouth that had just kissed me lovingly yesterday.

My heart wrenched in pain as hot tears began pouring nonstop down my cheeks.

I cried out in pain as his friends advanced towards me, shoving me to the ground, the back of my head hitting the cold, hard tiles.

Punches, kicks, laughter, and ugly words were thrown at me. But the only thing I could concentrate on was the words that Chase had said.

What the fuck is wrong with you?!

You stupid faggot, stay the hell away from me!

Didn't you realize you were just but a toy to me?

As if I would ever like a disgusting, worthless piece of shit, like you!

You were clearly a mistake!

A joke to life!

I hate you!

Pain shot throughout my body, but the pain in my heart was the most unbearable. I felt as if someone had just clawed my heart out, tearing it to shreds.

Why are you doing this to me? How could you say those words to me? I wanted to scream, but my only ounce of energy was sucked out of me as Jake threw one last punch at my gut.

I felt my head began to throb, a headache forming, as everything started becoming blurry. All the voices, all the laughter, everything.

All I could feel was the aching pain coursing throughout my body, throughout every bone, muscle, and fiber in my body.

My body felt limp as I lied motionless on the ground, tears streaking my face, bruises forming.

I choked out a sob filled with pain, sadness, heartbreak, and betrayal as I watched Chase and his friends sauntered away down the hall, not sparing me a second glance.

Chase's words replayed themselves in my head.

Didn't you realize you were just but a toy to me?

As if I would ever like a disgusting, worthless piece of shit, like you!

I couldn't believe how dumb I'd been. I'd let myself fall into his trap. I'd fallen in love with him. But I'd just been another one of his many toys that he would use and dump. It had all been too perfect. Like a perfect ending in a movie. But no, this was reality. And in reality, life was painful. Love was painful.

His confession of love for me was just another one of his tricks. Just an act. A lie.

This was all a lie.

I'm just a toy to him.

And that's all I'll ever be...