Chapter 9

//EDITED//

I have every right to be scared right now, but at the same time I know I shouldn't be. Fear isn't real, it's all psychological—just an emotion humans implant in their brains. This danger I'm in is very real, and, I can either let fear take over and give in, or I can face it and rise up.

"Take her," Walker yells.

I'm still in Henson's office with Claudia's head cradled in my lap. The same men from the park emerge and fill the room.

"Bring her to the shed, and this time make sure she doesn't slip away or each one of you will suffer the consequences."

Someone grabs me from behind and hoists me up. I don't kick or struggle to get away. My feet touch the ground and my arms are pinned against my back.

"Walk," commands the man holding me, who happens to be the guy I hit.

I do what he says.

I look at my surroundings. Besides the man holding me, there are two men to each side of me and one in front. All of them have guns loaded and look ready to shoot. As they walk me through the building I notice that it is empty. No one is here: no janitors, no late night workers, and no security guards.

Did they kill them all?

No, it would draw too much attention to kill that many people in one place. But then where is everyone?

Not only is the building empty, it is also pitch dark. Only a few lights flicker on and off, but besides that it seems like the building has lost its power. I can see that we are nearing the exit and if I want to escape this could be the perfect time.

I stop walking when we are a few feet away from the exit.

"What the hell?! Keep walking bitch!" The man holding me yells.

When I don't move he takes measures a little further and hits me in the head with his gun. I stumble down and fall to the floor.

"Easy there, we need her alive at least 'till we reach the shed," says one of the other men.

"Yeah, but I mean you should be at least be thankful. I mean that nose job is clearly overdue."

His face turns red from anger, and he hits me across my face again, but this time with the hand he was using to hold he gun. The gun falls, scraping across the floor, but he doesn't seem to notice. He is hell-bent on trying to kill me. Before he can hit me again the other men hold him back, making it a perfect opportunity for me to grab the gun. Once it is in my hands, without hesitating I shoot the guy trying to kill me in the leg making him fall to the ground in pain. The others take a second to process what is going on, and I shoot them too—I only miss one of them, who uses someone else as a shield.

What a bastard.

He charges at me and I hit him straight in the stomach. He stumbles, but before he falls he grabs me, taking me down with him, and I hit my head on the floor. My head feels like there is something pressing down on it, and my eyes start to go blurry.

God dammit.

I slowly get up, but I feel someone grab me by the back of my neck and pull me into a tight grip. Instinctively, I hit them hard on the chest and quickly get out of the embrace. The man falls to the ground in pain, but he slowly starts to get up. I am still hunched over trying to control my breathing, but before the guy can hit me again I push him into the wall, making his head crash into the glass. Quickly wanting to get out I rush over to the exit.

The cold air fans over my face as I open the door. The exit door leads to the back of the building and it is pitch black. I lean against the wall trying to control myself.

Blood runs down my arm and the side of my head. My hair is stuck to my face. Everything spins around me and the ground seems like it is shaking. Groaning, I sit down and put my head on my knees.

He knows who I am.

He knows what I look like.

He knows where I work, and probably knows where I live.

I am not safe anymore... not anywhere.

While I am in my own world I hear faint sounds behind me, but I don't bother to look or run away. The footsteps get closer and I am pretty sure it is Walker's men.

I should run.

I should try to fight.

But what's the point in trying to run away? He will eventually find me, and if he has his way he will most likely kill me. If this is my fate then why am I trying to fight it?

I feel someone harshly grab my waist and pull me up, and I comply. They drag me down the alley and into the busy street. I hear the opening of a car door and the next thing I know I am being thrown into the back seat. My head hits the hard leather and the door shuts behind me.

Maybe this is how my life will end. Maybe I should just let it happen. Maybe I am destined to die alone as nobody.

With that, I close my eyes and let the darkness consume me.