Chapter one

Sydney's POV.

"Hey, do you think I could drive back?" I ask my Uncle and Father as we walk back to our car. We've just gone on a week long hunting trip, but now it's time to head home.

"Hm. Maybe." Uncle Daryl says with a few squirrels slung over his shoulder.

"Aww come on! I got my license, like, last week! You gotta let me drive sometime." I complained, looking towards my father.

"Fine. Do whatcha want." My dad, Merle Dixon, told me as he threw me the keys

"Yes!" I cheered.

My dad isn't the type to take care of me, and never has been. Most of the time, he was out getting drunk or high with his buddies. When I was younger, he wouldn't ever be home. It was up to Uncle Daryl to keep me fed. That was when Dad hadn't drug him along. If they were both gone, I would rely on myself to get ready for bed, even at the age of four.

"Hey Uncle Daryl, you wanna watch that one Tv show with the brothers that hunt Demons with me when we get home?" I ask him.

"Sure. I'll prolly jus fall sleep though." He answers honestly.

Daryl Dixon isn't all that bad. I mean, sure he's one of the toughest men I know. He cares about people. I'm not saying he's nice to me all the time, but I'm one of his favorite people.

We were still quite a ways away from our car. We had walked about 5 miles out to get to our hunting post. Most of the time we will shoot some deer, but we just got a few squirrels today. Oh well. Whatever keeps us fed I guess.

I heard some ruffling in the bushes and decided to point my rifle towards it.

"Nah put your gun down," My dad said motioning towards me " I got this one."

Listening, I pointed my gun back towards the ground and adjusted my backpack to where the straps weren't falling down my shoulders. Daryl and dad think their "too tough" to wear backpacks, so I carry the ammo and a pistol in the pack.

The ruffling in the bushes grew louder, as did the moans and groaning.

"Dad,That doesn't sound like an animal." I tell him, warily taking a step behind Daryl.

"Shhhh." Is all he responded with.

A human emerged from the bushes as My dad dropped his gun.

"God dang, don't you know how dangerous that is man? I coulda shot cha!" My dad yelled at him, pointing his gun back to the ground with a groan.

There was something strange about this man. His skin looked almost rotten, and his eyes were a yellow color.

"Uncle Daryl, what's wrong with his eyes?" I whisper up to him.

"Merle, we should go" Daryl mutters, placing a hand on his brothers shoulder.

As he got closer to my dad, he tried to take a bite out of his arm. I let out a gasp as my dad jumps backwards, prying his arm from the man's grasp.

"Jesus man? What the heck is wrong with cha? Don' cha speak?" My father yelled at the man.

Before this strange man had time to reply, several more of them came hurtling towards us from the direction our car was parked at.