Chapter Two

Sydney's POV

I got lost in thought, thinking about my dad.He didn't treat me like a dad should treat his daughter, but I know he loved me. And boy, did I love him. I wanted to be just like him (beside the getting high every day part). I desired to be just like him, to not be afraid of anything. To be tough, strong, not let anybody get to you.

It's been about 12 hours since I last saw him and Daryl. Times like this you start assuming the worst, and I've already done that.

I thought back to the times where Uncle Daryl would watch TV shows with me, but ended up falling asleep. He would be woken up by dad, dragging him to some bar somewhere. Daryl would leave with a "be careful, don't let anybody in the house".

I'd miss those times, because now, he's probably dead.

Daryl was like my dad in a way. He didn't care what people thought of him. The only difference between my dad and his brother was, Daryl cared. He didn't show it, but I know he did. Don't get me wrong, Daryl hated most people. He only cared for a few people, me being one of them.

  Then there was Carter. Carter was.... Harder to explain. He was sweet, caring, not like most people. He was very popular. That was until we became friends. He gave up his popularity to become friends with me, and that's something I'll never understand.

In seventh grade, I was pushed to the ground by this guy who was making fun of my dad, which happened regularly since he was the town drunk. Carter is the one that came up to the guy,his best friend at the time, and punched him. That's when we became best friends.

I stayed up all night thinking, Not even bothered to wake up Ty and Sasha to take watch. By the time I realized I forgot to wake them, the sun began to rise. I was broke from my trance when Ty woke.

"Why didn't you wake me?" Ty asked 

"Sorry," I mutter, "I was just thinking"

"It's fine. We should get moving soon. We need to find shelter before next nightfall." Ty explains to me, getting straight to business.

Not shortly after, Sasha woke. She asked me the same things Tyreese did.

We collected our belongings, which wasn't much, and began our journey.

  As we walked, they told me stories about their life. I was beginning to grow on these two. I lost my family, and heaven knows what is going on in this world right now, but we still managed to have a good time. It seem like we're going to be together for a while, might as well get friendly.

The woods around me began to look familiar, like I've been here before.

"Hey," I stop the two, "I think my friends barn is around here somewhere. They hunt sometimes, too"

"That's great!" Tyreese exclaims, "Do you think you can remember where it's at?"

I look around for any object that could remind me where the barn is located. I glance down at a tree trunk, seeing a glare from behind a rock.

Bingo, one of the breadcrumbs Carter and I used to leave when we would go exploring. Just to remember the way back, we placed quarters along the way. I guess we forgot to pick one up.

"This way" I point, and the two siblings follow.

Not before long, the big red barn appears before us. I smile and triumphant smile as I go to open the door, earning praise from Ty and Sasha.

As the door swings open, I jump backwards at the barrel of a gun being pointed straight at me.

Ty and Sasha counter by raising their guns while I hold my hands in the air.

"Sydney?" The person with the gun mumbles, causing my eyes to shoot open at the familiar voice.

"Carter." I gasp, looking my best friend up and down. He seems to be untouched, and not dead.

We engulfed each other into a hug, me burying my face into his neck. He chuckles as he lets me go, looking my up and down as well. I notice his family approaching from behind, smiles held on their faces.

"I thought I'd never see you again." He tells me

"Why wouldn't you?" I ask, glancing up into his brown eyes.

"You haven't heard?" Carter's brother, Ben, emerges from behind his parents, crossing his arms.

  I looked towards Ty and Sasha. They looked about as confused as I was.

"The dead have infected just about the whole world now. People have been saying Atlanta was a safe zone." Ben explains, approaching me for a hug, "It's great to see you though, Syd"

I accept the hug with a "You too"

Ben is like my brother, the one I've never had.

"Is it true?" Sasha asks, obviously having no way of hearing the news.

"It was. Now Atlantas over run." Donna, Carter's Mom, says, standing beside her husband Allen.

"That's.. terrible" I cover my mouth with me hand.

Allen nods his head, but quickly motions to the two behind me, "And they would be?"

"Oh, this is Sasha and Tyreese. They are helping me find Dad and Daryl." I tell them, completely forgetting to introduce the stranger.

"What happened to Daryl and Merle?" Carter questions worriedly.

"Uh, we kinda got separated when this whole thing got started."I simply state, letting out a short yawn.

  "You look tired. Maybe Tyreese and Sasha could meet my parents while you lay down?" Carter suggests with raised eyebrows. He's always looking out for me.

I hesitate, glancing back at Ty and Sasha. They agree with Carter, motioning me to go get some rest.

Carter guides me to the back of the barn, where we sit down next to each other. I immediately lay my head on his shoulder, happy that he is safe.

"What made you guys come here?" I ask

"We just thought it would be the safest place until this blows over," He says, "What about you?"

"I noticed we were in the area, found one of our quarters," I hold it up before placing it in his open hand, "I thought we could get some sleep for the night before looking for Daryl"

Carter nods, letting out a deep sigh, "I was terrified, not knowing if you were safe or not. I knew you were out on that hunting trip. I thought I'd never see you again"

"I'm fine," I assure him, "and I'm glad you're safe, too"

Carter gently moves my head from his shoulder to his lap, where I lay down as he runs his fingers through my hair.

I then close my eyes, letting my mind drift off. I'm now with my best friend. What could go wrong, right?

Thinking that everything will be ok, I drifted off to sleep.
~~

Wrong

Hey guys! Sooo this is my story about Sydney Dixon! I'm hoping that this one goes better than my last Dixon fanfic. Sooo hope y'all enjoy :)

Edited