Chapter three

Sydney's POV

When I woke up, I was still laying on Carters lap. He was awake, looking towards the front of the barn.

"Hey." I mumble, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

"You must have been tired," He chuckles, "You've been out a while"

"You stayed here the whole time?" I ask.

He simply nods, smiling his adorable smile.

"Aww, you really do love me." I joke with him, pushing myself up to my feet

"Sometimes" Carter admits, standing up as well.

Together, we go find the rest of the group. They're joined around the table they have made out of a hay bale.

"There's the sleeping beauty." Ty smiles, motioning for me to sit by him. I do so, him patting my back as I sit.

"I've been waiting for you to wake. I think we should look for your uncle. If there's anyone I want to be with in the apocalypse, it's him." Ben says frantically, making me laugh. But then, the word he used stopped my joy

"The apocalypse? Is this really the end of the world?" I question, glancing at the others. They all hold sorrowful looks on their faces.

"It seems to be." Allen says, "News Broadcasts have shut down, most states are overrun by those— things"

We are all silent, taking in the fact we will probably never return home. I'll never see the people from my school, never lay on my couch, never watch tv, and never get to graduate. Nothing will ever be the same.

"But on the bright side, at least we are all together!" Carter exclaims, making me scoff.

"Daryl's not.." Ben reminds us warily. He must be infatuated with my uncle.

We spent the rest of the night talking. Ty and Sasha telling more stories about them, letting us get to know them better. Carter told us some stories about baseball, making us all laugh.

I shared some more stories of my family, the times when we were all happy, making me miss them more than ever.

It's crazy how you spend your life wishing someone would go away, that you'd be better off without them, but once they're gone, you can't help but wish they were by your side.
~~

So it turns out, Carter kept extra gloves and baseballs in his barn. Imagine that, the jock brings sports equipment with him everywhere he goes.

Carter and I spent the afternoon playing catch and joking around. Ty was sitting near us with his gun, just in case any of the dead come by.

"Watch this move!" I yell over to Carter as I throw the ball from behind my back. It lands perfectly in his glove, causing me to cheer.

"Think that's good? Watch this!" Carter says as he did a backflip, throwing the ball as he lands.

I catch the ball with an eye roll, "Do you always have to one up me?"

"Oh that wasn't even a one up. That was a quadruple up." He jokes. I scoff, starting to say something, by Tyreese cuts me off.

He stands up from his seated position, putting a finger over his mouth. His gun is raised, pointed toward the tree line.

Carter walks closer to me, making sure to stand close just in case something is out there. Sure enough, A dead man comes flying out of the buses toward Ty. Tyreese doesn't hesitate to pull his trigger.

I gasp, jumping at the sudden shot. I don't think I'll ever get used to people killing people.

I run over to Tyreese, inspecting his arms, "It didn't bite you, did it?"

"No, no," He assures me, placing a hand on my shoulder, "I'm fine, baby girl"

His words cause me to furrow my brows, remembering a time when the world was normal, though I wanted it to change.

I was sitting on the couch next to Daryl, watching some show called 'Supernatural'. My dad walked into the kitchen and started pulling food out. It was around 6, so I assumed he was about to go out drinking with friends.

"Hey baby girl, whatcha want for dinner?" He asked me, making me flinch. I look to Daryl, seeing his confused glare.

I was confused as well. My dad never showed compassion, so for him to call me baby girl was strange.

"M-me?" I asked quietly.

"Yea you. You're the only girl here aren't cha?"

"Yea. Uh. Mac and cheese would be nice." I said with a smile.

"Mac and cheese it is."

"Syd, you okay?" Carter asks, moving to put his hand on my back.

I nod, "Yeah, sorry. I just— zoned out for a second"

"Alright," Ty says, "I think that's enough catch for today. Let's go inside"

We agree, following him into the barn.
~~

It's been a few weeks since we found the barn, a few weeks since I lost my family. Life was okay here, boring at times.

It was from talking to Ben, rationing our little food supply with Allen, Looking for supplies in the barn with Donna, laughing and joking around with Carter, and catching up with Ty and Sasha.

I was beginning to feel at home with this group of people. Ty and Sasha were like family now. I could rely on them for anything.

Ben has always been like the brother I've never had. If it wasn't Carter giving me advice, it was Ben.

Like I've already said, Donna and Allen are like my second parents. Whenever Uncle Daryl was with dad all night, I would go over to their home. They would make me up their guest bed and feed me dinner.

Carter has always felt like home. No matter where we are. We have this connection that not many people have. He's my best friend. Some people would say that we were more, and there's times where I feel like we are more. Times I wish we were more. At the end of the day, he will always be my best friend.

It was around 6 now, about 30 minutes since Ty shot that 'walker' in the head. That's what we have been calling them. Allen said it one and it just kinda stuck.

We were all gathered in the center of the barn around the table, laughing and joking around.

Groaning at the door caused our cheerful moment to halt, silence growing instantly.

I take a deep breath, grabbing the pistol from in front of me. I have to kill one eventually, right?

As I made my way to the barn door, the noises got louder. I swung open the barn door to be met with a group of walkers.

"Walkers! Run!" I yelled to the group, fumbling backwards.

I turn back and begin running, watching as the others hurry to gather their belongings and hustle up to the second floor.

I do the same, retrieving my back pack before climbing the ladder. I let out an exhausted groan as I look down at the herd of Walkers below.

"Are you ok? Did they get you?" Carter runs to me, taking my hands into his as he checks over my body.

"No,I'm fine." I reassure him with a smile.

"What now." Ty questions, looking down at the walkers below us.

"We leave." I tell them, opening the top door to the barn and jumping down.

They all jump down shortly after, and we make our way deeper into the woods.

~~

Edited