Chapter twenty

Sydney's POV

It has been quiet ever since half the group left, and it's only been a few hours. Most of my time has been spent with Carl and Beth, playing cards just like we usually do. Although it was different this time without our fourth member.

Carl went to patrol the other wing of the building, leaving me and Beth alone. That didn't last long, Carl came back minutes later with panic in his eyes.

"Syd, can you help me with something?" Carl tries to stay calm. Beth doesn't seem to realize his panic, but I️ can tell somethings off.

"Yeah, sure" I nod, standing up from my seat to follow him down the hallways.

He walks quickly, looking up to me occasionally, "Promise me you won't freak out?"

"Depends, what's wrong?" I furrow my brows, now worried about what he needs to show me.

"I found these people who wandered in, one of them is bit. They need help and I don't know what to do." Carl explains frantically, but still has a calm manner.

I huff as he stops right outside of a doorway. Carl raises his eyebrows at me, questioning our next move.

"Let's just talk to them, see what they want" I offer. He nods at my plan and together we move into the room he's placed them in.

The moment I step around the corner, my heart stops in my chest. The five people standing before me are all too familiar.

"Ty, Sasha?" I choke, my throat feeling numb and my eyes swelling up.

My two friends turn to look at me, and as their eyes land on my face, they both let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh, Sydney" Sasha is the first to move towards me, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I hug her back and let my tears fall onto her shirt.

After we separate, I move to Tyreese. He does the same as Sasha, although his squeeze is much tighter than his sisters. He loosens his grip when I let out a gasp for air.

"We circled back on the highway to look for you guys, but you were already gone" I explain to them, Tyreese still having his arm over my shoulders.

"There were so many walkers, we thought they got you guys" Sasha tells me, looking at me with the happiest smile.

Now, looking past Sasha, my breath stops as I see the other three people sitting on the ground.

Allen, Ben, and Donna are all looking up to me with tears in their eyes. Ben is the first to hug me, but hugging their other two aren't as simple.

Allen is on the ground, holding Donna, who has a big bite on her forearm.

"Oh, Donna" I sigh, squeezing her tight. When
I️ pull away, she wipes my tears off my cheeks.

"It's so great to know you're safe," She smiles, then looks at me with confusion on her face, "My boy, where's my Carter?"

My frown increases, and I take a moment to gather myself. All five of them realize where he's at by my silence.

"Just a few weeks ago. There was too many of them, he didn't make it" I explain briefly, the whole scenario replaying in my head.

Donna cries even more now, while the boys sit with their head in their hands. Sasha places a hand on my shoulder, and I look up to her with a sympathetic smile.

Carl is standing awkwardly in the corner, and I decide I should explain what happened.

"This is Sasha, Tyreese, and Carters family. I was with them before I found you guys" I tell Carl, and he just nods his head.