Chapter fifteen

Sydney's POV

"Say, your friend is quite the ladies man isn't he?" Dale chuckles, looking down at me from the top of the RV

"Yeah, Sure looks like it" I squint my eyes to look up to him.

"I assume you would rather be alone." He nods his head.

"Yea. Typical Dixon right?" I fiddle with my knife.

Dale chuckles,"Mind me asking why?"

I let out a deep breath, "People come just as fast as they go"

"So you're afraid? Afraid to get to close?"He climbs down his ladder.

"Yea. I guess that's one way to put it" I smile in embarrassment.

"Well, this isn't a promise, but I don't plan on going anywhere for a while. Feel free to get to know me" The old man hops down from the RV and hands me his rifle.

I hold it my arms, narrowing my eyes.

"Keep watch with me. Maybe we can, overcome that fear of yours. Bring you out of your box" He begins to climb up the ladder again.

I follow close behind, smiling.

I jolt up from my position, sweaty and breathing heavily. I curl up into a ball and begin panting.

Carter rolls over, groggy and sleepy, to find me having a panic attack.

"Hey, hey. It's okay, just take deep breaths. I'm right here" He sits up, putting his hand on my back.

I throw myself into his chest as tears trickle down my face. Dales gone. He lied to me. He let me get close, and now he's gone.
~~

Rick whistles, motioning to the rest of us that it's okay to come in the house we found in the woods. They have cleared it of walkers, and now it's okay to spend the night in. This has been our life for the past few months. Living anywhere we could find, eating anything we could find,which was usually nothing.

I huff, grabbing mine and Loris bag. She quietly thanks me, rubs her very big belly, and walks into the house. I follow.

I notice Daryl is sat in a chair, plucking feathers off of an owl. I chuckle. The rest of the group is silent, but moves to take a seat. I do the same, plopping down on the floor next to my uncle.

Carl comes rushing into the room with two cans of dog food. Everyone looks at him in shock as he starts to open it. Poor thing, he's so hungry that he's resulted to eating dog food.

I don't blame him, I'd eat anything at this point.

Rick is fast to grab the can from Carl and aggressively throw it into the fire place. He just shakes his head and sits back down.

"Pst" T-dog whispers, motioning outside. I look to the window and see a few walkers straggling toward us.

I groan, grabbing my things and following everyone out the back door. We have gotten into the habit of running from our problems.

We reach the cars, throwing our belongings in the back. I find Carter quickly and grab his hand so we don't get separated.

Together, we jump in the back of Glenn's car, and speed off.

~~