S.H.A.D.E

5.

There is nothing I can do.

I would love to, more than anything at this moment, throw myself out of this vehicle. Tuck and roll or whatever. Sure, I only have this blanket, so chances are it would hurt like hell, but at least I'd be in control of where I am going instead of sitting here wedged between two darkly dressed figures who seem to believe that my future is their business.

"Copper? Where are you? Do you know what's going on here?"

Of course he is silent, as he has been this whole car ride, which is infuriating me. Sure, I don't know the guy and him being in my head freaks me out beyond all comprehension, but he has been the one helping me up until this point, and now he's just gone.

I let my eyes glance sideways at my captuors, examining them.

Glasses looks... happy. Like he's accomplished something by scooping me up and throwing me into this car. There is something about him, although this whole situation is peculiar, that strikes me as especially odd. He is in a suit and a fancy hat, but he looks to me to be more the flannel and denim type. He might be in his early thirties, but then again, he could be fifty. He has one of those faces.

The other one, Stop Watch, is tossing the little device lightly up and down in his hand, deep in thought. He has pointed features, especially his nose, and his skin is quite pale, but not unpleasantly so.

I look forward, but only see the hats and shoulders of the other two, but by their postures, I guess that they are the seniors of this group.

The car is uncomfortably quiet, at least to me, anyway. I knot the hem of the blanket in my hands anxiously, pondering over if I should ask or not, but finally I build up the courage to say, "So, are you guys a part of the mafia or something? What is this? Human trafficking?"

My question startles the group out of their thoughts, Stop Watch almost dropping his watch and Glasses jolting out of his content state.

Gravelly Voice up front there lets out a laugh so dry it sounds painful. "The mafia, sweetheart? We're much more dangerous than that."

"We're not the ones who harm people, and we do not break the law," Glasses says in a prim sort of way, as if I've taken a stab at his dignity. I want to remind him that kidnapping is a crime, but I hold my tongue.

"I suppose we need to tell this one the ins and outs of this all," Stop Watch sighs, which irks me a little, because that should have been the first thing they did before tossing me in here.

"That's Copper's job," Gravel says, finally turning his head so that I can at least see his profile. He's all forehead and eyebrows, and his face is a map of wrinkle lines.

"Well," Glasses says, tapping his fingers on his lap, then turning to look at me, " I will tell you this -- you have received the honor of becoming a Black for S.H.A.D.E, and not just any Black; you're an Ebony. As an Ebony, you will be revered as the most skilled and important member of your Swatch for the short time you will be in service to us."

I narrow my eyes. "What is Shade? What is it that you do? That I am expected to do?"

Glasses and Stop Watch share a passing look that makes me wary. "We'll let Copper handle explaining your tasks to you while you are here with us. He will be in charge of your health, training, and assignments. You should feel lucky, Copper is the best Sync our organization has to offer. He'll make you a legend, that one."

"Why is he in my head?" I press.

"Look, Copper's gonna clear a lot up for you. Just know that you are going to make a difference in the world, that you are going to help people." Glasses smiles that smile again, the one that makes me think he's glossing over something really important.

"So what is S.H.A.D.E  then? What does it deal with?" I focus on questions that are not directly about me, hoping they will answer.

" S.H.A.D.E," Gravel speaks up somberly, "stands for Sheltering Humans Against Demonic Entities. It is an anti-demon establishment."

"...anti-demon?" I whisper.

"We exterminate the earth of filth like the kind you faced tonight."

"That woman -- Demon -- you fight them?"

"We do," he nods, "we fight them because no one else will. Not the Gods, not the non-believers, not the Psychics. We are the only shot this world has anymore."

"Ordinary people fighting extraordinary creatures," Glasses pipes up, and I swear his chest inflates as he speaks.

Stop Watch lets out another sigh.

"So then, there are... Demons and Gods? In the world?"

"And in others." Gravel sounds ominously crypic when he puts it like that.

"What do I have to do with this? Why am I an Ebony? I think there's been a mistake, you see, because I don't remember anything at all, especially not signing up to be a member of this... this club," I inform them.

"Club?" Glasses looks exasperated, like I just told him the color of the sky is purple or something.

Gravel mutters something under his breath about the youth nowadays or words of that nature. Stop Watch simply shakes his head, taking his attention to what is outside his window, deeming me no longer worthy of his time.

I feel... stupid. Which isn't fair.  I have no idea what's going on at all, and they won't answer half of my questions. Of course I don't know anything about what this is!

"They aren't usually this inquisitive."

It takes me a moment to figure out who is speaking, and then I realize it is the driver who has been silently listening this whole time. The way he says that, it sounds as if being curious is not a favored quality amongst these people.

"It isn't like it used to be, Silver," Gravel tells him, "they used to be much more compliant."

In the rear view mirror, I catch sight of deep-set, gray eyes studying me. "How lovely those days were..."