Looking the Part

18.

This is not what I was expecting.

I am driving with my Swatch, cramped in the back of a black Impala, bumping over uneven ground.

Silver is waiting for us in yet another alley, standing somberly by an SUV. Gravel is with him, I realize.

"Oh man, they sent the statue. That guy's no fun," Al groans, bringing the car to a stop.

I agree.

We all exit the vehicle, and I am apprehensive, but the rest of the team walks right up to him, so I follow behind.

"Alright," Silver says, pulling out a large duffle bag from the back seat of the SUV, "this mission requires the utmost professionalism. You lot always find a way to botch things up. Now, you've got the best Ebony on your team," he shoves the bag at Al, "so get it right."

"Yeah, man, no worries," Al smiles, swinging the bag over his shoulder.

Silver ignores him, scanning us over. "Your objective is Micheal Benson, C.E.O of Benson Industries. Benson Industries offers a cover for Necro Proxy activity. The Function is being thrown under the guise of a Benson Industries staff party, however, we know that N.P. recruitment will be happening there. Your job is to infiltrate this party, cause a disturbance that causes evacuation, as well as obtaining Mr. Benson for questioning. We will be waiting here and listening in for updates, so wear your damn mics this time."

"Yes, sir," Fuisha salutes lazily, grabbing the Duffle bag from Al and heading back to the Impala. The others follow suite.

I go to do the same, but a hand grips my arm tightly. Silver's eyes bore down into mine, but somehow, he is not looking at me. "Prove that you are the best."

He's not talking to me.

He's talking to Copper.

I yank my arm away from him, glaring back as I follow after the others.

"What was that about?" Beige asks me once I catch up.

"What it's always about with these nut jobs," I growl, but instantly regret what I've said since Beige is one of them.

Surprisingly, he lets out a laugh. "You got that right."

I consider the fact that I don't know my group yet, that they were snatched away from their old lives as well, were unmade by S.H.A.D.E just as I had been.

Sure, I was doing the worst parts of these missions, I would be at the highest risk of death, but I'm sure if they were caught during this party function, that they'd be punished by death as well.

"Copper, did you hear Silver?"

"Loud and clear."

"We're gonna make it through this, right?"

"Listen to me, Ebony, and everything will be fine. I won't let anything happen to you, but I can't help you if you won't trust me."

Everything in me wants to bulk against his commands, wants to be free, but I need to survive. I need to impress Gold. Copper is how I will do this.

"Okay."

Fuisha unzips the duffle bag and starts distributing clothing.

They are.... suits and gowns.

"I get this one!" Fuisha proclaims, holding out a sparkling champaign colored gown that boasts a plunging neck and back line and a split that reaches the very top of the thigh. "Here, you two fight over these," she says to me and Violet, chucking the other two options at us.

Violet grabs the most conservative there, long sleeved and high necked, embroidered with jewels.

I am left with a blood red dress, sleeveless and airy, a split on either side.

"And we get shoes!" Fuisha squeals, claiming the tallest ones for herself.

Fine by me, I need something I can run and kick in. I grab the most flat pair I can find, sending an apologetic look to Violet, who is stuck with a chunky, high pair.

"Good choice," Copper remarks.

Both the girls and boys start stripping right there in the alley and I stand there dumbfounded.

"No time for modesty."

I sigh woefully, but start removing my clothes as well, slipping on the red dress as quickly as possible.

"You should go no bra. The dress will look better," Fuisha advises me, throwing off her's in demonstration.

I look away, feeling awkward as hell. The boys don't even pay her any mind, both almost finished putting together the layers of their suits.

Under my dress, I skillfully remove my bra, throwing it in back of the Impala.

Violet has masterfully dressed without anyone seeing even a slither of her body, and I make a note to ask her how next time.

Because there will be a next time.

We climb back into the car, and I see Al nod in the driver's seat, his expression not focused.

He's speaking to his Sync, that's how he knows where to go. I look around the car, suddenly aware that there is really ten of us in it rather than five.

Fuisha passes watches and Jewellery around as we drive. "Too bad we have to return these," she pouts.

"It's just to make sure we look like we got money," Beige grunts, adjusting his watch on his wrist. He looks sharp in his dark suite, so does Al.

We all look the part -- the bored and rich children of L.A. business moguls, the future heirs of the corperations... and the Necro Proxy.

"We're eatin' at the Kenway tonight!" Al whoops, looking excited.

"We gotta set fire to it or something, we can't be too distracted," Violet reminds him, looking nervous as she fidgets with a simple necklace she has chosen to wear.

"Doesn't mean we can't try the caviar," Fuisha sings, adorning herself in as much jewellery as possible, staring adoringly at her reflection in the rearview mirror.

"Our weapons have been smuggled already into the men's bathroom on the right side of the Hotel. They're hidden up in the roof tiles," Beige informs us, having the same unfocused look Al had. "So Al and I will go for Benson, Violet and Fuisha will cause the evacuation, and Ebony will take out security."

"Security?"

"Yeah, on all floors -- human and Demon," Al looks back at me, "can ya handle that?"

"Gonna have to."

He beams at me. "Told ya this would be fun!"