Belly of the Beast

12.

Scarlet and I continue my training. Mostly, this consists of her laughing at me and kicking my ass, Copper making his little remarks or commentary the whole bloody while.

As it turns out, I am pretty good at boxing and firing a gun, but I have no technique when it comes to martial arts.

Scarlet moves fluidly and swiftly, graceful in ways I can't seem to mimic as she kicks and punches and whirls around the cloth dummy. "When you land your kick, you want it to hit just about--" she spins on her heel and lashes out perfectly with her other leg, striking the dummy so hard that it shakes on its post, "-- here, for maximum damage. If you strike this nerve on their neck, they will be shocked into stillness for a moment, which leaves them wide open for the killing blow." Her form is perfect, like she is a dancer instead of a killer.

I really want to move like that. Maybe if I practice enough...

"You're not really made to be graceful, you're more like a bull, or an eighteen-wheeler."

"Thanks, Copper. That really helps."

I roll my shoulders and crack my neck, then step up to the dummy. I pivot on my heel, but I feel the wrongness of my movement the moment I start turning and my leg hits the dummy on it's side rather than on it's neck. I lose balance and fall over, my chin hitting the concrete floor with a gross thud. "Ouch! Dammit!" I bellow, bringing my hands up to cover it.

"... Ebony... you need some work. You're an excellent shot, and you have a lot of force behind your attacks... but you lack fighting skill."

"Well, who walks off the street a trained killer?" I mutter. "I was ordinary before this, I assume. What use did I have for ancient fighting techniques?"

Scarlet nods, "And see, I get that. But that little speel won't help you when you're being savagely killed by a Demon."

I blow out a breath, then get back up to my feet. "Again, then."

Scarlet leans out one hip and gives a huge yawn. " We've been at this for two hours and Iris is probably wondering where I am. Our Swatch has a mission to do tonight."

"But I'm being relocated tonight, and I still don't know what I'm doing."

"Just do what you do best -- bulldoze." She laughs at herself and heads back up stairs.

I sigh and go to follow.

"What are you doing?"

I stop. "Leaving, obviously. She said training's over."

"Yeah, but I haven't. You are going to perfect that kick before you leave."

"But I can't do it, you saw!"

"You can do it. And when you decapitate a Demon just by performing that kick, you'll be glad you took the time to learn."

"Decapitate--?"

"Get back to it. We'll be here until someone comes to fetch you."

I groan, "I haven't even eaten yet today!"

"Motivation. Get to it."

I grumble as I walk back to the dummy, line myself up, and try again.
I strike it in the same place as before, on its side.

"Ebony, you are flexible enough to do that kick. Stop being lazy."

"Well how do you turn?"

Copper mutters something, then says "Look at your target, where you want to strike, not at your leg. You never take your eyes off an opponent. Focusing on your leg makes you kick lower. Try again, this time directing your gaze at the dummy."

I nod, then take a breath, looking towards the dummy's neck. I have to hit that nerve.

Eyeing it, I make my turn, bringing my leg up and out and strike it. My hit is not perfect like Scarlet's but it is closer. A smile breaks across my face, and I feel proud of myself.

"Not good enough. Again."

I frown, but do as he says, whirling around again. I hit the dummy, and it lands imperfectly for the second time.

"Do another one."

I push my hair out of my face and wipe at my brow. "Can't I take a break now? I've made progress, and I'm still hungry."

"Again, Ebony. Now."

I ball my hands into fists. "No, Copper. I'm tired. I'm hungry. I'm going to have a break."

A pain shoots through my entire body, and a scream tears out of my throat as I fall to the floor, clawing at nothing, writhing in white hot agony. It lasts for mere seconds, but it is unbearable all the same.

After it subsides, I lay on the ground panting, collecting my senses again.

"Don't push me, Ebony. I am not here to be your friend, but to make you the best you can be. There are two things I will not tolerate, and that's laziness and disobedience."

I start to laugh, first a snicker, then a full out cackle.

"... What on earth could you be laughing at?"

I breathe through my laughter, calming down, then sprawl out on the floor, relaxed. "I got my break after all."

Before Copper can reply, I hear footsteps approaching me.

Turning my head, I see a pair of polished loafers walking my way. Looking up, I recognize that it is Glasses who is attached to them.

"Hey," he smiles wide, "learning some moves, eh?"

"Trying."

"Sounded painful coming down here."

"Yeah, that was just Copper flexing his authority again." I cannot keep the bitterness from my tone.

"Well, we were supposed to take you later on today, but it appears you're needed quite urgently, so your relocation is being done now. I've come to get you and bring you there."

A chance to get out of this disgusting basement? I leap up at his words, relieved.

"This isn't over though. You will be learning that kick and many other techniques."

"Whatever."

"You ready, then?" Glasses asks, and I note the enthusiasm in his tone. He's excited for something, and I'm scared to ask why.

"I guess so. Where is it that I'm going?"

His smile spreads wider, his lenses flashing at me. "The belly of the beast."