Copper

6.

I remain silent for the rest of the drive, afraid after Silver's words that I may be sticking my foot in my mouth.

Now is not the time to barrage these people with questions.  I still have no idea if I am in fact safe or not. I don't trust them whatsoever, and missing my memory makes me more vulnerable than I care to think about. 

I refrain from asking where we are going as we drive into the center of some city.

It is strange. I know what things are, like that is a traffic light, that is a fire hydrant, and so on. However, in relation to myself, I cannot remember anything.

Copper calls me Ebony, but I have inferred that this is a mere title, not my name.

So then, who am I? What is my age? What is my favorite color? My favorite food?

Where is my family?

No, no. I must push these nagging questions aside for now. I must focus on surviving whatever this is, look for an opportunity to escape.

"Copper?" I try one more time, and to no shock at all, the line remains dead.

That's it, screw Copper. I didn't want him in my head in the first place, so why am I whining for his help now? Memory or not, my fate rests in my own hands, as it should.

We drive a little more until we pull up behind a shabby looking brick building, the men choosing to enter the back way, something that I find alarming for some reason. They don't want to be seen, they are hiding.

As we slow to a park, I steel myself for anything.

There is a silhouette of a man underneath the dim light of the back entrance, leaning against the metal door and smoking a cigarette. The wisps of smoke twist up into the air, curling like grins until fading into the dark.  I watch the red glow of the bud drop to the ground and then it's stomped out.

"Hm, what's Gray waiting around for?" Gravel frowns. 

"Guy's obsessed with Copper, probably wants a good look at his Black. Word's probably gotten around that his is the only survivor," Stop Watch says, then opens the door to meet the man named Gray who is approaching the car. Gravel does the same.

I stay planted in place, not wanting to move at all until I get a better understanding of the situation.

"That's the one?" Gray says, his voice sounding carelessly smooth.

I examine him from where I sit. He is a handsome man, smartly dressed too, in a suit that looks like it has more pieces than a puzzle. He has blonde hair that is slicked back, a face that is clean shaven, and glittering eyes that observe me back. They narrow as he takes me in.

"Did no one think to stop somewhere and pick up this young lady some clothing to wear?"

The men look around at each other. Silver chooses this moment to get out of the car, and I see that he is not as old as I suspected at all.

In fact, the man is almost stunning. His skin and eyes are dark, his hair is wavy and black. The reason his posture was hunched was probably because of how tall he is-- which is scarily tall-- fitting awkwardly up front. "Would you like us to go on a shopping spree, Gray, or would you rather us do our job?" he mutters, not waiting for a reply as he brushes by them.

Gray lifts a brow before saying, "How professional is it to have the Ebony march around naked like some trollop? What sort of organization are we running here?"

My cheeks heat. Yeah, I'm tired of being naked myself.

Glasses pats my shoulder apologetically, as if realizing I might prefer clothes to a blanket for the first time. "Wait here," he says, exiting the vehicle and following after Silver into the building.

I look at Gray, still refusing to leave my place in the car. If he wasn't still staring at me, I could make a run for it now. "Thanks," I mumble to him, feeling unsure.

Gray leans against the car, peering in at me. I shift under his stare. It's nothing lewd, it's more like I'm a new trinket of some sort that he's trying to make sense of. "So how was it?" he asks after surveying me over.

"How was what?"

"Your escape. Copper was helpful?"

"... I suppose."

"Kind of an ass, though, huh?" he smiles.

I feel weird talking about this.

Thankfully, Glasses reappears through the doorway, jogging back to the SUV and handing me what looks like medical scrubs. "This is all we have."

Hesitantly, I take the blue garments from him. "Thank you."

The men turn away politely, whispering to one another, as I change hurriedly into the scrubs. I don't mind them, given that it's either these or a damn blanket.  These are comfortable anyway, good to run in.

Once I am finally dressed, I look out at the men, still with their backs to me. I contemplate making a break for it.

"Don't."

I jump out of my skin, then feel a rush of anger. "Where have you been? What's with the radio silence? I had no idea what to do or what was going to happen!"

"That'll teach you to listen to me next time."

"Do I ever get to meet you?"

"Eventually."

"Good, because that's when I kill you."

"I could kill you right this second if I want to. Slow your heart to a stop, speed it up too fast. Don't push me. If you don't listen, I will get rid of you in order to get someone who will."

My skin prickles at his words.

"Good. And if you decide to run right now, I will do the same. Now tell them you're ready. They'll take you to me."

So I do, because what choice do I have?

Off I go to meet Copper...