Blank Space

7.

I am led into the building, which is dingey at best, with chipping walls and worn carpeted hallways. There is a haze of cigarette smoke that fills the air and makes me scrunch up my nose in displeasure.

Gray has volunteered to take me to my temporary room, and I don't know how I feel about that. He seems fascinated by me, still wanting to play and poke at the new toy. What is it about me that makes him feel this way?

I am the only survivor. But I barely survived. The only reason I got out alive was because... of Copper.

That thought sets my teeth on edge. Saved by the guy who threatened to kill me. Saved by the guy who, for all I know, put me purposely in that situation.

For what? A test? He wanted to see how the rat did finding it's way out of the cage?

I'm not sure if it's just paranoia, but I almost feel him there, sitting somewhere in my psyche, occupying a region of it like some conquering king. I need to revolt, to reclaim my mind. I hope he can feel my anger as vividly as I do, and I hope even some small part of him is afraid.

"Yeah," Gray says, catching the look on my face and misreading it, "looks like one of those speak easies, right? Even got a bar up front there if you fancy yourself a drink after all that. This is more a meeting than anything, though. Just an inconspicupus place to gather. We don't necessarily have a homestead per say, our establishment is more of an understanding. Our agents rarely come in contact with each other, unless it is beneficial to have a Swatch do a mission together," he continues, hands in his trouser pockets, as we pass down the narrow hall past rooms of other men in suits. Are there no women here? "You will stay here for the night, but come morning, you will be set up in an apartment you can call home. You'll be located in an area known for N.P. activity. They usually operate under the guise of businesses, and the most prominent members are CEO types. Got their hands in everything. Humankind has no idea how the Demons have handicapped them in this battle."

"Do they even know there's a battle going on?" I wonder out loud. Because I certainly didn't.

Gray throws me a grim grin. "I suppose you're right."

I am shown to a room that is no bigger than a closet, with a pull-string light and a little futon shoved into a corner, a rickety looking table at its side.

"It's a place to rest your head," Gray says by way of apology.

"Yeah," I say, because what else is there to say?

"Well then," he turns to leave me, but I remember just then about Copper.

"When do I meet Copper? He said you were going to take me to him?"

Gray shakes his head, seemingly amused. "Guy's all smoke and mirrors, isn't he? I don't know if that's his trick to keeping you--" he cuts himself off suddenly, a look passing over his face like he's gone and said too much. "Well, just go to sleep. He can contact you that way." With that, he turns away and walks quickly down the hall, like he's afraid he's going to slip something else to me.

Except I didn't even catch it the first time.

Whatever, I could care less if I meet Copper or not. If he wakes me up while I am sleeping, I'll punch him right straight in the throat.

"Understand?" I think to him daringly.

He's playing silent again, which makes me snicker. This is no more than a stupid game of hide and seek when you know where the person is hiding and they know you know too.

"You and your metaphors."

I am the one who ignores him this time, locking the room's door with the half-busted latch and crawling onto the futon. Maybe he won't be able to get in. I smile defiantly to myself before drifting off into an uneasy sleep.