Infiltrate

19.

I feel calm, and I know that that is due to Copper blocking my rational impulse to run from this situation.

"How am I going to take down security?"

"From top to bottom."

"I wish I could have brought my axe."

"And where were you going to hide it in that scarf you're wearing?"

"This dress wasn't my choice, I'll remind you." I adjust the top of my dress, feeling uncomfortable.

"Relax, you look nice. They won't expect any thing's amiss until you give them reason to."

I knot my fingers together and tap my heel anxiously.

"Hey, don't even worry about it," Fuisha says, noticing my tension and waving a hand. "If they kill you, you won't even know it. It'll just be a bullet straight through the brain, whoosh."

"Stop trying to scare her," I barely make out Violet's voice, though she sits between us.

Fuisha nudges her in the side. "Lighten up, Vi. You know? I'm a firm believer in karma, and what goes around comes around."

"So you'll live because you are saving lives?" I ask.

"Oh no. We're all screwed," she laughs.

I'm confused.

Finally, we make it to a side street. I can see the lights of the hotel from here, surrounded by trimmed shrubbery. It's a classy looking place, definitely not meant for the likes of us.

But we are all done up, and if we stay calm, things should be fine getting in there.

As we pull up to the curb, I see that a limo is waiting for us. I feel it is a waste of time to get in it just to literally pull around the corner to the entrance, but I guess no one entering the Kenway Hotel actually would ever drive themselves there on their own.

We pile in, and I think Fuisha will combust from excitement. The limo is top notch with a full stash of liquor. Al and Beige grab some, popping off the tops and chugging it down. Liquid courage, I guess.

The driver slides the interior window open, handing us back a stack of fake I.D.'s.

Beige hands me one with my picture plastered onto it. When did S.H.A.D.E get the chance to take a picture of me?

This I.D. looks legitimate, whoever made it obviously being proficient in fraud. Staring down at my given name, Lisa Frost, I am consumed by sadness.

From now on, I will always be who S.H.A.D.E tells me to be. I will be one person from one day to the next.

Play the part, become free. I close my eyes and hold on to that thought.

We pull up in front of the doors, the entrance lit up elaborately, a slew of people rushing to help us out, to provide welcome and a drink at the door.

I will never again be in a more lavish place. It's unbelievable, sparkling chandeliers and polished marble and oak, and rugs that feel like you're walking on clouds.

Everyone else is also struggling not to look wonderstruck as well. We're supposed to be used to such high-end places.

"Identification?" a large man asks us. He's wearing sunglasses indoors.

"Demon. Remain calm."

I show mine to him, keeping my face passive. He looks it over, then looks me over. "Lisa Frost? Which family do you belong to?"