Chapter 1

~4 weeks ago~
//Scarlet\\

Unlocking the door to my 2014 Mustang, I quickly slid in from the pouring rain. Seattle was always known for rain, but today seemed a bit weird. The sky was so dark with clouds, it could almost pass as night. With a huff, I start the ignition and back up the car, driving towards home. A bright light flashes, lighting up the sky, quickly followed by a roaring burst of thunder. "God-" I pause myself, lowering myself closer to the wheel to observe the sky. Just over the University, the American flag is violently being tossed in the wind. Without another moment, the light turns green and I continue the drive home. But then, red lights flash in my mirrors, and sirens blare from behind. I make my way to the side of the road, allowing the emergency vehicles to pass. 3 firetrucks, 2 ambulances and 5 cop cars. They're heading towards.... My street. Quickly, I follow the last police car. Sure enough as I approach, the place I once called home was engulfed in flames. I parked my car, and without a second to spare I sprint out into the pouring rain once more, up the stone steps towards the burning house. I was grabbed around the waist, and slung into a strong grip, holding me back from going inside. I screamed as loud as I could, hot tears flooding my crystal blue eyes. My thin frame made it easy to hold back, but as tall as I am, is another story.

That day, I lost all of me. The house I've grown up in for 19 years. The loving parents that raised me and watched me grow into what I am today. The sister and her fiance whom were to be married in a month. The husky dog I saved as a child, and raised on my own. All of it, gone. I felt empty. Like ever single part of me had been ripped and shredded. That was until now.

~2 weeks ago~ (From present day)

The fireman held a brown tinted envelope, and hands it to me. As he walks away, I waste no time and quickly rip it open to look at the writing inside.

Dear Scarlet,
     We know these past few years have been really hard on you. But your mother and I have been talking, and we really think that as you start your college years, you should really think about trying out for the soccer team. They're holding tryouts there just outside main hall, and we know if you truly wanted to make it, you could. So just think about it, maybe have a little something you enjoy. We love you honey.

                                                                                                                   ~ Dad

~Present Day~

I walk down the brick walkway, jeans and a plaid shirt over my black t-shirt. My black messenger bag rest over my right shoulder at my side, and I stare and my black combat boots as I walk. I hear shouting from just beside me, and I glance over to notice a bunch of girls, some my age some older, playing soccer. Oh, that's right. The tryouts for some soccer team was today. I focus in on the team, "USWNT" I say in my mind. My eyes widen at the thought. Holy crap! This is the national American team! There's no way I could- "You just gonna stand there or are you gonna try out?" A voice asked from just over the small fence. My eyes widen once more at the voice, and I snap back to reality. "U-uh me?" I stutter, glancing at the female. She had slightly curly brown hair, hazel eyes. I knew her, she was Carli Lloyd, one of the players on the team. "Ha, yeah you. Come on, jump the fence." She said, waving me over. Taking a breath, I slowly do as told and jump the fence, following Carli over to the sidelines where the others are. "Hey coach, I got the last one for the day." She said, and I slowly stopped a bit aways. I had never been so close to so many people I look up to. Lloyd, Morgan, Brian, O'Hara, and Solo! "Well you just gonna stand there or you gonna run the course?" Coach Ellis called to me, everyone kind of chuckled. "Uh... I guess so." I shrug, throwing off my bag, followed by my plaid shirt. I jog over to where Ellis is pointing. "You start out here, run through the cones, do a few rings, make sure you never loose track of the ball, then make a shot past Hope." She explained, pointing out as she explained. My eyes landed on Hope Solo, the goalkeeper for Uswnt. Oh my goodness, this is like.... My dream. I've loved Hope ever since I was 14. I gave a nod and a thumbs up, then Lloyd threw me a soccer ball. I kicked it around on the top of my right foot a few times, then begin to dribble. I pick up speed, kicking it now before I begin darting between the cones, making sure the ball never leaves my feet. With that done, I do cross leg jumps through the rings, then sprint towards the goal. I can see the intensity on Hope's face as she hovers, getting ready to block my shot. With a deep breath and no hesitation, I pull back my right foot and put all the force I could into a single kick. With the unbalance, I find myself flopping into the grass onto my back, followed by the sound of voices shouting and cheering for me. "Nice kick girl!" I heard Lloyd shout out to me. Suddenly, Solo approaches over me, a bit out of breath. She holds out a hand. "Nice shot kid. You actually made me work." She said with a smile as she helped me up. "Ha, thanks." I say, smiling brightly as the team members came over and shook my hand. Then, Jill walked over. "So you got a name? Otherwise I'd have to put 'kid' on your training jersey." She said with a chuckle. My eyes lit up at her words, and everyone sort of shoved me around playfully. Did I- I just- "Well?" Hope asked from beside me, her smile spreading. "I'm Scarlet. Scarlet Jade."