Epilogue

I wake up. Today is the most important day of my life. The day the determines my course of life, and it's all under my control. I walk into the kitchen to see my mom and dad cooking, which is only happens on special occasions.

"Abner, your finally up!" my mom shouts. I see my sister, Luna, has already been up and ready.

"Sorry, I guess I needed the extra sleep this morning"

"I know, it feels nerve-racking, but once it's over, you will feel a new kind of freedom. At least I did" my dad says, him and my mom giggling about some inside joke.

The Niko bursts through the door moments later

"Hello Family number two! Always good to see you, especially on this lovely morning!"  Niko is my best friend, has been since birth. It helps, and may be because, our parents are best friends.

"Niko it's two early for your peppiness" Luna grumbles
"Brighten up sunshine! That is your name isn't it?" Niko gives her his signature smirk.
" No It isn't actually, that's his"
Luna's name means moonlight, which is pretty ironic because she is no way any "light", particularly in the morning, Niko never helps with that.

"Alright guys, you need to get going, this is not a good day to  be late" my mom hustles us out the door. The three of us make our way out to catch the next train. We easily hop on and realize we have the whole cart to ourselves. We sit there in silence for most of the way there

"Do you know what faction you guys are picking?" Luna asks breaking the silence

"Dauntless, that's the right option, right?" Niko says. Neither of us answer

"I've thought about switching, then not, and also having no clue." Luna responds

"Abner?" she asks

"I... thought about Erudite. But I don't want to disappoint Mom and Dad. You remember Mom talking about her brother, how it devastated the whole family? I love Dauntless, don;t get me wrong, but what if there is something more for me than guns and hitting people?"

"What if we make the wrong decision?" Niko asks

"I guess that's where the Dauntless takes over, bravery overrides your fear, and you take a leap of faith and hope for the best" I exclaim. They both laugh

"They was very cheesy" Luna smirks. I let out a laugh as well

We jump off the train and head to the "arena of fate" as I call it. We sit alphabetical, so I am right before Luna.

The speaker this year is my dad, he has taken over as head of Dauntless.Which means there's even more expectation riding on me to choose Dauntless. He gives a speech that is told every year of the value of making the proper decision and how it is irreversible. He then begins calling out the first names. Naturally, many people picked their born-faction. The first transfer was a amity to candor. It went on and on, until Niko was called. He stepped up to the bowls and cut his hand. He gave Luna and I a look then dripped the blood into Dauntless. A few other names past then I was called. I walked slowly as possible. I cut my shaky hand as I hovered over Dauntless, then Erudite, finally settling on the safe option, Dauntless. I didn't regret it. My dad gave me a warm smile which is rare for him, then I sat next to Niko. We watched as Luna stepped up, she cut her hand deep, with no hesitation, a giant drop of blood fell between Amity and Dauntless bowl, half of the drop falling into both, her eyes widened as she looked at our dad, he looked just as confused.

"Just let another drop another droop into your choice." he called out. She hesitated over Amity for a second, but decided with Dauntless. Everyone stared as she walked to sit next to me. Next was Isla, Luna's best friend. She dropped blood into Candor, she was also a close family friend, she mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' at Luna, Luna was in complete shock. Her parents, Zeke and Shauna, must have been even more devastated, coming from a line of no transfers ever.  She lifted up her shirt, to reveal a tattoo of the words "Friends∞"

"You'll always have us" I whispered, knowing I made the right decision the to stay with her. She gave me a warm smile and hug.

"Ladies and Gentleman I present you to the new members of your faction"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dedicated to: @xx_southernviolet_xx for making a trailer I only now discovered