Chapter One

'My name is Elizabeth Hawkins. I was raised on a ranch in the country, I am a strong independent young woman who yearned to have romance in my life. I lived with my father Caleb Hawkins and my five younger sisters, Mary Beth, Serena, Alice, Danielle and Jessie Hawkins. My mother had died five minutes after Jessie was born. I serve as an older sister and maternal figure. It was the year I turned 17, that I would get what I've dreamed of all my life...' "Morning, Caleb." David said "Hello, David. Is there anything I could help you with?" Caleb asked "Is Elizabeth here?" David asked "You missed her, she just went into town, David." Caleb said "I've also come by to say that you need to hire help, Caleb, otherwise, you will lose this ranch. And this land will be put on the market." David said "You can't. Where are we gonna go if you were to take this place?" Caleb asked "Maybe there's another way; I let you keep this land, for Elizabeth's hand in marriage." David said "You want me to sell you my eldest daughter in order for my family to keep the ranch? I couldn't do that to Elizabeth. What kind of father would I be if I sold out one of my daughters?" Caleb said "You'd be the man who keeps a roof over his head and his family fed. I'll give you eight weeks to think about it." David said storming off angrily "Dad, what's David so mad about?" Danielle said "He wants me to give him your sister's hand in marriage to keep the ranch." Caleb said "Elizabeth will never accept his proposal. David was abusive to her when they were dating. She always came home with bruises after a date. You can't give David what he wants, besides, you'll end up hurting Elizabeth." Danielle said "I know that, Danielle. Elizabeth should have the right to find her own groom." Caleb said "She should." Danielle said, nodding in agreement 'I was just about to reach town, when I see a guy in a truck in Black Texas style cowboy boots...' "Are you alright, miss? I didn't hit you did I?" He asked "No, I'm fine. It was nice of you to ask, though." I asked "Just as long as you're okay." He said "I see you're a doctor.." I said "When I lived in the city. I'm Rick St. John." He said "Elizabeth Hawkins." I said "Nice to meet you." Rick said "Likewise. Welcome to town." I said "Thank you." Rick said "Elizabeth, I'm glad I caught you. Who's this?" David asked catching his breath "He's a friend, David. Don't let your impulsive jealousy get the better of you." I said "Impulsive jealousy?" David repeated coldly "You were cruel, cold and abusive, and you were jealous of any guy who came within five feet of me." I said "I wanted to work things out, you're the one who broke things off, Elizabeth." David said "Listen, David. I moved on since we broke up, and for the first time in a long time, I'm happy." I said "What's your name, stranger?" David asked "Rick St. John. So, how do you know Elizabeth?" Rick asked "She's my girlfriend." David said, placing his arm around me "Ex-girlfriend. It's not like that, Rick. We broke up three years ago, and he hasn't moved on." I said, shoving David away "Looks like she's over it, David. Just move on and let her go." Rick said 'I started to follow Rick to the truck, David grasped my wrist, pulling me back...'