Chapter Six

'We had gotten to the hospital under fifteen minutes, I had taken hold of Rick's hand until they wheeled him into surgery, Dad had put his hand on my shoulder, leading me toward the waiting area...' "What if Rick doesn't pull through? His blood would be on David's hands." I said "We just have to wait and see what happens, Elizabeth." Caleb said "I love him, Dad." I said "You and Rick?" Caleb asked "Yeah, I finally found a good one." I said, wiping the tears away "If you and Rick are truly happy, I wish the both of you the best of luck." Caleb said 'Later that night, the police approach David's home knocking on the door...' "How can I help you, officers?" David asked "David McGraw, you are under arrest for trespassing on Hawkins Ranch, stalking and harassing Elizabeth Hawkins, and for attempting to murder one Richard St. John." The sheriff said "I don't know what you're talking about, officer." David said "Place your hands behind your head, Mr. McGraw." The second officer said "You've got the wrong guy." David said "Mr. McGraw, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?" The chief asked, shoving David in the back of the squad car "Oh, God, please spare his life. I beg of you, do whatever you can to save Rick St. John." I said, tears in my eyes "Miss Hawkins... Mr. St. John's out of surgery." The nurse said "Rick's out of surgery? Is he okay?" I asked "He's resting comfortably he will be fine." The nurse said "Thank God, he's alright." I said wiping the tears "Miss Hawkins, Mr. St. John is asking for you. Come with me, please." The doctor said, gently leading me toward Rick's room "Elizabeth..." Rick groaned hoarsely "Rick, I'm here." I said pushing the door open "Hey... Ow." Rick said as he tried sitting up "Don't try to move so quickly. You don't wanna rip your stitches open, do you?" I asked gently tipping him backward "I cannot believe that I had to get shot, before I could tell you how I truly felt about you." Rick said grunting "I'm going to help you recuperate." I said "So, what happened to David?" Rick asked "The police arrested him. We're finally free." I said "So there's nothing stopping us from being together, Elizabeth Hawkins, would you go out with me?" Rick asked "Just as soon as you're strong enough." I said 'David had been locked away in a holding cell, the sheriff watching over him, as he had been pulling on the bars...' "Sheriff, you have to let me go. You have the wrong man. I love Elizabeth, I wouldn't do anything to hurt her." David said "Keep quiet, Mr. McGraw, or I'll have no choice but to taser your ass." The sheriff said "Elizabeth, don't leave. I need you." Rick said, reaching for my hand "I'm not going anywhere, Rick. Not until you tell me otherwise." I said, gently pressing my lips to Rick's forehead "Hey, I'm gonna head to the house, you coming?" Caleb asked "Not right now, but I will be back soon." I said "Take all the time you need, Elizabeth." Caleb said 'Minutes turned to hours, hours had turned to days and days turned to weeks, and Rick had been fully recuperated. I had returned home when he did, getting swarmed by my sisters, who had jumped on me as I approached the house.. I had been welcomed home with open arms...'

~End of Chapter 6~