Chapter Five

"David, please. I beg you, don't shoot him." I said, tears welling in my eyes "Do as I say, and no harm will come to your precious stable boy." David said "What do you want from me, David?" I asked "You, are all I want.. Elizabeth, you're all I wanted more than anything." David said "Why are you so hell bent on winning me back? I have moved on. Especially since you nearly beat me to death." I said 'I had looked over at Rick, tears streaming down my face, I then slowly felt my heart starting to break inside my chest, I had dropped to my knees, still looking over at Rick..' "I'll give you all the time you need to think it over." David said, walking me toward the loft "I can't do this, David. I can't go back to an abusive relationship. I got over you." I said "Suit yourself." David said, aiming the gun at Rick's chest "No!" I yelled as David left "No, no. Rick. You stay with me. Don't you even think about leaving me." I said removing the bullet and applying pressure to his wound "Elizabeth!" Caleb called "Dad, in here!" I called "Elizabeth are you alright?" Caleb asked "It's Rick, David shot him. I tried to stop him, Dad." I said tears streaming down my face "Elizabeth, calm down. Rick is going to be fine. I'm gonna need your help. Now, did you remove the bullet?" Caleb asked I nodded my head, trying to fight the tears "Yes, it was the first thing I did." I said, drying the tears on my sleeve "Keep pressure on his wound, I'll call the police, David must be apprehended for attempted murder." Caleb said "Just hang in there, Rick. You're gonna make it. You have to fight, dammit!" I said, my voice breaking with sadness, and my tears hitting Rick's skin "Elizabeth..." Rick said "Thank God. Just hang on, Rick. My dad's coming back." I said "Yes, we need an ambulance at Hawkins Ranch. There's been a shooting. I need you to get here as fast as possible." Caleb said, running back to the loft "You gotta keep the pressure on it, hold it as tightly as you can." I said "The ambulance is on it's way. Hang in there, Rick." Caleb said "You hear that? You're gonna be okay, Rick." I said, my voice breaking "Elizabeth.." Rick said "Don't try to speak, alright? The ambulance will be here soon." I said "Elizabeth, you stay here, I'll go with Rick to the hospital." Caleb said "I'm not leaving him, Dad." I said "I guess Mary Beth can keep an eye on things." Caleb said "Hey, Rick. You have to stay awake. Don't fall asleep, okay?" I said 'The ambulance had arrived a few minutes later, Dad took the cab and I climbed in the back with Rick, taking hold of his hand, tears falling down my face... I couldn't lose him. I couldn't imagine living a life without him... I squeezed his hand semi tightly, I then leaned close and whispered six words I had been saving for the longest time...' "I love you, Rick St. John..."

~End of Chapter 5~