[sept]

EDDIE
10:24

EDDIE10:24

--

"Mom?" Eddie whispered softly as he tip-toed down the hallway, the dark oak flooring creaking ever so often with each step. He sped up his pace as he briskly walked past his grandmothers room, in which she was still sleeping in, in fear of waking up the wise older woman.

Not wanting to further make noise, he made his way towards the kitchen in hopes of finding his mother there. The bottoms of his feet pattered softly against the cold wood flooring, sending a slight shiver through his body as the chill air hit his sensitive skin, causing the the thin hairs on his arms to stick up as goosebumps tickled his arms.

The nostalgic smell of fresh blueberry pancakes infested his nostrils, intensifying his senses as he neared closer to the brownish-crimson coloured kitchen. His mother always made the most delicious tasting and smelling foods, especially her pastries, in eddie's opinion. Everyone who had ever been given the opportunity to get their tastebuds blessed by his lovely mothers dishes would whole-heartedly agree with that statement.

Furthermore, people had been rather surprised while tasting his mothers dishes, particularly when she would sheepishly deny any possibility of that when someone complimented her godly skills. His mother was always one to tastefully deny compliments, instead rather choosing to compliment others in the process. Due to the culture she had once been accustomed to before immigrating to North America, relishing in compliments was simply seen as obnoxiously prideful and distasteful in the eyes of others and still her own, rather then plainly bashful.

"Morning Eddie, darling."

"Mornin' mom," he smiled heartedly. Shuffling himself over quietly to the small island that stood situated in the middle of the kitchen where his petite mother stood contently stirring another batch, of what undoubtedly would be believed as pancake batter. "Do you need any help?" he leaned his weight against the wall gingerly.

"No thank you, I'm fine sweetie." his mother looked up smiling weakly. Her past bright smile, and overall appearance now mirrored a mer fraction of shattered fragments of which had once glowed lively, prissily, and beautifully. Once being able to flourish a filled room of the darkest of wallowing souls, now her resembling hallow soul began to trail along miserably in the deep woe of chaos.

Eddie was sadly aware his mother replaced her weaknesses with mimicking fake laughs and dear smiles, like the rest of the universe, for the sake of her growing son, in hopes he wouldn't become aware of her rapidly increasing turmoil. Instead, he was forced to witness his mother slowly deteriorating -- slowly becoming duller every awaiting second. He knew it pained his mother as well, but watching it all so hopelessly, unable to fix everything, pained him just as deeply.

Eddie was brought of his deep trance, as she gently brushed her frail hands off the floral apron that wrapped itself loosely around her petite waist to speak. "What did I tell you about leaning on that wall? one of these days you're going to go right on through it!" she bobbed her head disapprovingly towards her son actions.

"Ma! I'm barely even leaning on it!"

"You were given legs for a reason. You're not a boneless child so stand up right, now!" she pointed a stern figure towards her wide-eyed gasping son.

"But--!"

"But nothing."

Silence. Silence.

"Fine." he grumbled delicately under his breath, yet he couldn't contain the tiny giggle and smile that slipped past his plump lips at the small reveille of his mothers past quirky self.

Eddie always relished these precious moments he had with mother. Sometimes wishing he hadn't done so and taken everything as granted as an naive young child, unaware of the near future, and harms due to the harsh, toxic world.

"Ah, thats what I thought," his mother ticked playfully. Turning around she began to pile a stack of fresh, warm, and delicious blueberry pancakes onto a plate, pouring syrup generously over the mountain of pancakes. She made her way over to island placing the over-filled plate in front of her son as he spoke, thanks' heartily.

"So, mom I think I'm going to head out soon after this," he brought a fork with a large heavenly piece of pancake attached to his already watering mouth, moaning in the processes of the sweet taste that sprinkled his tastebuds. "Is that alright with you?" he spoke, chewing fast in order to speak, syrup innocently dribbled down his mouth as he quickly flicked his tongue to lick it away.

"I suppose, as long as your not going too far," she spoke, not missing the concern that dripped from her motherly voice.

"'I'll be alright, mom. I'm only going as far as usual," he spoke reassuringly, "and shouldn't I be asking the same too you?"

"Eddie, he's not going to be back tell the weekend, I'll be fine..." she spoke far more softly, barely above a whisper. Whenever her boyfriend was brought up sorrow filled her once hallow stricken eyes. Eddie quickly regretted bringing up the certain topic, feeling rather guilty as his mothers past demeanour diminished.

"Mom--"

"I will be alright, don't worry, love," she smiled weakly, placing a delicate hand lightly on her sons shoulder, "please be safe now."

"I will, mom." he attempted to smile lightly in return, trying not to let a frown form onto his curved lip. He wanted so gravity to apologize towards his mother for his prior insensitivity, but he hastily decided against it. "I'll be back before supper, promise."

"Please god, let him be safe." She shakily whispered quietly to herself as she turned. Desperation seeped through her spoken words, yet not loud enough to reach the ears of her son. Or she had thought.

Eddie clamped his eyes tightly closed as he hastily escaped the restricting confinement of his house, closing the door softly behind him not to fright his mother. Exhaustedly leaning against the siding of the house, he slowly slipped down to his knees, letting a silent sob escape his dried lips and a shudder raked his frail body. His heart pounded rapidly in his chest, as a single droplet spilled free of his thick lashes and ran down painting his soft golden cheek.

Eddie didn't understand why he couldn't cure his mothers turmoil.

Why he couldn't cure the ones of the universe.

Eddie attempted to ignore the fact the universe was nothing but a vast pool of woe, nor further able to deteriorate, as it was utterly broken. But he continued to replace it all with a mock of fake smiles, flattering laughs, and pleasant views towards the world.

Because the thing was, so was he.

--
[ I would like to thank y'all for over 8k+ reads, 1k+ votes, and over 450+ comments, which is fucking amazing! I hadn't believed anyone would want to read this style of writing, nor book at first lol. Although it may not be as popular as my other works, I really wish to continue, and too continue to improve my writing throughout for you all !! ]

— Lee/Maddi 💞☄💫