Chapter Six

Jack

Fuck,

I thought, knowing that there isn't a way for me out of this. Even if there is, I can't see it. I can't see anything. I can feel things, though, like gravel and rocks. I can hear, as well, like voices and breathing. I can't feel anything, nothing but a solid, dusty something underneath me and a sore spot on my head.

Fuck, fuck, shit, fuck. This hurts. Where the hell is Mark?

...

Jack, earlier that day.

This morning started like every other morning this week, in Mark's room. Not in the way I would- I mean wouldn't like to be. I, obviously, would like to wake up in my own dorm. Perhaps to the straightest playlist I could muster up, just to keep on the impression that I don't like dicks. Mark doesn't know yet, and if he's even half as protective of Julian as Julian is of him, I don't want to be on the receiving end of his jealousy. 

Speaking of Julian, I don't know how long I can keep doing this. Pretending to be someone's boyfriend without being able to do normal relationship acts is one of the hardest things college has thrown at me so far. I think he's starting to get suspicious... I hope I can be in my own body soon. 

For the past three nights, Mark's boyfriend has been oddly distant as apposed to scratching at the door for sex like he did before. 

I exhaled and finally opened my eyes, gazing around the dorm room. My neck and back ached as I sat up from the floor, hitting my head against Mark's desk chair. Dust particles floated through the air into my already dry and itchy eyes. I heard keyboard tapping across the room, fast and furious. 

Speed is key, I always say. 

Squinting my eyes, I looked over to Mark's bed, where the screen of his laptop illuminated his face in the dim-lighting. It made him look even paler. I don't think it's any early than five-o-clock, which is hours before our first class. He glanced over to me momentarily and then back to the screen. 

"Mornin'." He croaked, his throat dry and tired. That's how I sound every morning before I get a cup of coffee, but I don't have that issue now. I grunted in response and rolled back over. He chuckled.

 "How's the floor treatin' you?" he snickered, his keyboard tapping not missing a beat. 

"You know, it's your body that's getting hurt by putting me on the floor." I grumbled, trying to find a comfortable position. "There aren't enough pillows in this whole dorm building to make this floor comfortable." 

"I have to think about myself, and right now myself is you." Mark said, matter-of-factly. The laptop dinged, signifying that he had gotten a face book notification.

The room went silent again, and I could now hear the crickets outside the window. Slowly they lulled me to sleep and I felt myself drifting again, the pained in my spinal cord not being able to deter my sudden comfort. 

Through my drowsy state I heard shifting of blankets around on the bed, then I felt myself being jerked up by the shoulders. 

"What the hell is this?" Barked Mark, right in my ear I might add. I swatted at him and smacked him right in the face, groaning and opening my eyes. I was blinded by the bright screen of his laptop, but as soon as I could see I wish I really were blind, because then I couldn't see what the screen showed.