Chapter 2

Thalia's POV
I paced around my house feeling impatient and a little bit worried. I had not heard from Legolas in over a week and bad thoughts flooded my head. Did he forget about me? Did something happen to him? Everything had been going so well. Artemis had been brilliant and, although the fear of getting caught had brought an element of excitement to our relationship, thankfully we hadn't been found out yet. Sometimes I wasn't sure if Legolas and I were just friends or something more. I had started to have stronger feelings towards him but I was careful to not pursue them because King Thranduil's threat still lingered whenever we were together.

There was a knock at the door and I sprang across the room and flung it open. I hoped it would be Legolas or at least someone who could tell me what was happening. My face broke into a huge smile when I saw that it was Artemis.
"Hi! It's been a while. Would you like to come in?"
"I'm sorry but I can't stay. I came to explain," she whispered. "It's not Legolas' fault that he hasn't been able to see you. Thranduil has been getting increasingly suspicious and he has even had a guard follow Legolas wherever he goes." I gasped at her words. I no longer blamed Legolas for keeping his distance from me, and the news of a guard troubled me.
"Isn't that a little extreme? I mean, he is a grown elf who can make his own decisions." As I spoke another anxious thought came into my head. I tried to look past her shoulder into the dark, but she was too tall. "Were you followed too?"
Artemis shook her head. "Thranduil tries to pretend I don't exist. He will barely look at me. He wouldn't waste any guards on me." I detected a hint of sadness mixed with anger behind her words. I knew that she didn't have a good relationship with her father but perhaps it was worse than I thought.
"I should probably go. But first, take this." Artemis handed me a roll of paper before turning to leave. Suddenly she stopped and turned back.
"Be careful. You have no idea what Thranduil is capable of. Don't make him angry." I could see that her face was full of emotion. What had happened between her and King Thranduil? She swiftly ran off into the night. I watched her go for a little while. Then I shut the door and sat down to read the note.

My dear Thalia,

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to see you for a while. Father has been very strict. Please meet me in the usual place at midnight tonight. Artemis will be detaining my guard as there are some things I need to discuss with you. Do not let anyone see you come. Thank you for being patient with me.

Love,
Legolas

I had mixed feelings after reading the note. I was thrilled that Legolas hadn't forgotten me and that he wanted to meet me but I was also very nervous. This could go horribly wrong if we weren't careful. But the "things he needed to discuss" filled me with intrigue and I, quite simply, longed to see him. I made up my mind that of course I would meet him tonight.

As the time drew closer to midnight I prepared myself in my room. I had swapped my usual attire for dark grey tights, a navy tunic and a long, dark blue cloak and hood. I wore my quietest boots made of supple, matte leather and I hid my knives under my cloak so that they wouldn't shine. My hair was braided and pinned on top of my head and I wore black gloves. I didn't want to blow this chance so I was taking extra precautions.

I stole out the back door and crept towards the woods. Everyone seemed to be indoors so I guess luck was on my side. The woods were dark and they seemed scarier than usual. I trusted my instincts and navigated my way through the maze of trees. I had been here often enough to know my way. I was feeling so jumpy that I leapt into a tree when I heard an owl hoot. Anxious thoughts entered my head but I brushed them aside with sheer determination. I was not going to let King Thranduil get in the way of our relationship. I finally reached the clearing and when I saw Legolas standing there all my fear melted away. I could not help but run over and embrace him. When we pulled apart he grinned.
"I knew you would come."
"Of course I came," I answered. "I've really missed you." We stood there smiling fondly at each other for a while. Legolas suddenly cleared his throat and pulled out a piece of paper.
"Thalia, there is something I need to tell you. When I first met you I was quite alone. Artemis was my only friend and when she left I had no one. You became my friend and life became so much sweeter. At first we were just that, friends. But over time I started to feel something different for you. Something I had never felt before. I just want to say-" I put my finger on his lips to cut him off. He looked extremely worried, like he was afraid he had said the wrong thing.
"Answer me truthfully. Did Artemis write that for you?" I asked him with a smirk.
"Well, umm, yes," he said in a small voice. "Does it matter?"
Deciding to take the initiative, I leaned in and whispered in his ear, "She's very good with matters of love, isn't she?" We stared intensely at each other and I saw all the emotions in his eyes, the ones that he had kept hidden from me until he was absolutely sure. He took my hand and started to lean in. I closed my eyes as I felt time stop. The very air was tingling with excitement. Our lips had barely touched when...